Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing around with the idea of getting a Nomad and looking on SC's site and I am in on the cusp of a small and medium . I am 5'4 with a longer torso so I wanted to know if anyone else was in between sizes and could share some insight.

My current ride is a Turner 5 Spot with a TT of 22.5 inch with a 90mm stem.
I've taken it to Downieville and it did fine, but wanted to explore the idea of more travel.

I have a good shop in town that sales SC, but wanted to hear from Nomad owners before I throw a leg over one at the shop.

thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Personally, I'd get the bigger size if you are going to use it primarily as a trail bike, and the smaller size if you are going to use it as a freeride bike. The smaller sizes are fun, and plenty stable, but may feel cramped on longer rides.

I'm in-between, and did two years on a medium before moving to a large, and have never regretted it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
HR is right on. I'm in between medium and large, my first real mtb was a large, but I ride a medium now. Which do you value more, climbing ability or descending ability? If it's the first go with the medium, if it's the second go with the small. I would personally never ride a large frame again, even if it was strictly an xc bike. The smaller size really lets you bet back over the rear wheel better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Small. Definitely. I'm in between MD and LG and went smaller. I've since ridden the large and am SOOOO happy I chose the smaller size. I ride all day trail rides on it and also go to ski resorts to ride DH on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Uncle Rico said:
I'm playing around with the idea of getting a Nomad and looking on SC's site and I am in on the cusp of a small and medium . I am 5'4 with a longer torso so I wanted to know if anyone else was in between sizes and could share some insight.

My current ride is a Turner 5 Spot with a TT of 22.5 inch with a 90mm stem.
I've taken it to Downieville and it did fine, but wanted to explore the idea of more travel.

I have a good shop in town that sales SC, but wanted to hear from Nomad owners before I throw a leg over one at the shop.

thanks.
Uncle Rico...I'm the same height and rode a small mk1 nomad for 2 yrs and loved it. Now I just ordered a small mk2 nomad and can't wait. Just get a longer stem if it feels cramped.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I would always go with the bigger size. You can put a smaller stem on if you need to but putting a long stem on won't be good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts