Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together my thoughts on a build for a Nomad. Why would I want or not want an 1-1/2 head tube on the frame? And if I do go with one that size do I need to specify anything different when ordering a shock. I'm sure its a different head set.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you don't intend running a fork with a 1.5" steerer then you don't NEED a bighead Nomad, but there may be a few other reasons for buying one.

You know that it's the latest model and will have the better bearings

You like the look of it

May (or may not) command more money when you sell it

Anybody else think of some more reasons?

If it was me then i would go with the new model, i do think though, that the headtube looks like a bit of a stick on and doesn't flow into the frame like an Intense for example- but that would have needed a re-design of the front tubes, and obviously they didn't want to go that far.

SC have definately missed a trick though in leaving the rear as a QR only, and i think down the line we'll see a Maxle rear end or atleast replaceable dropouts so that you can choose between QR, 10mm, 12mm or whatever, it's the way forward for this type of bike.

·
Registered
510 Posts
SonnyJames said:
I am putting together my thoughts on a build for a Nomad. Why would I want or not want an 1-1/2 head tube on the frame? And if I do go with one that size do I need to specify anything different when ordering a shock. I'm sure its a different head set.
you can drop your front end lower using integrated HS for one( which is REALLY a big deal for me and I'm sure for a lot other riders too)

From what I can understand , you can only get the Nomad with the 1.5 head tube now...

·
Get Down Do you
536 Posts
tuumbaq said:
From what I can understand , you can only get the Nomad with the 1.5 head tube now...
SC still has smalls and Meds in 1"1/8 but large and XL are all 1.5 now. You can probably still find 1"1/8 large/xl from dealers.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Why is there an issue with the head tube? 1.5 gives you versatility to use whatever you want instead of being limited in choice and the Nomad is supposed to be versatile. Also the 1.5 option can be lighter too (if that is any sort of an issue), as Rock Shox has shown - their Totem and Lyric are both lighter in 1.5 than 1 1/8, there is no real additional weight with the stem and minimal on the headset. It is also stronger as it gives a greater weld surface at the headtube and the steerer tube will also be stronger.
The only possible negative is the look, and I agree that Santacruz could have done a better job esthetically (see the old Ellsworth Joker for a swoopy 1.5 headtube design) as it does look a bit like a beer can at present.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In addition to whats been said.......

Pros

1.5 = compatible with 1.125" or 1.5"

1.125" = only compatible with 1.125"

The current 1 1/8 standard used for MTBs was established when bikes did not have front suspension because 1" wasnt cutting it. Increasing diameter to 1.5" makes for an increase in both stiffness and strength in all steering and head tube components, with minimal weight gains.

Cons

Stems = limited selection but might improve next year (relative to 1.125")

Headsets = limited selection but might improve next year (relative to 1.125")

Not 100% on this one but I believe that all available 1.5" headsets use deep insertion cups that are difficult to impossible to remove

Heard of some cracked 1.5" head tubes from installation of head sets. Not sure who had the faulty tolerances if the stories are true.

Not many shops carry the proper tools to install. The word proper being the operative word implying that many 1.5" headsets were installed McGyver style which makes me wonder about the faulty tolerance stories?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The new Nomad with the 1.5 headtube has a redesign where the shock link attaches to the top tube. Since some older Nomads broke there (I've seen 2) I think I'd rather have the new frame even if mounting a 1-1/8 fork in a 1.5 headtube looks odd.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Funny, I keep hearing how the 1.5 model looks funny, I even thought it would when I got one, but when comparing built up pic's & seeing both bikes in person, I actually think it looks much better :thumbsup:
Both bikes pictured are mine, but I have since sold the ano gray frame.

BTW, dont try to put a flush bottom headet cup on, the fork will hit the downtube :mad:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts