Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard that the nomad has won a lot of downhill races. I was wondering if it could be used as a true downhill bike? I think it would due to the coil in the rear and the fox vanilla 36 RC2 in the front. do you think so? POST YOUR NOMAD PICS!!!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, the definition of a "true downhill bike" will have some bearing on this, but I don't think many of us would consider the Nomad as such. I think in most cases where the Nomad has won true DH races, the courses were probably relatively mild in difficulty and therefore didn't require full-on DH level rigs. A course like Sea Otter comes to mind. A "true DH course" would benefit from a true DH bike...like a V10,M3, Sunday, Faith, etc., etc.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
I agree with TNC...."Limited" DH on the Nomad.

Yes, I've seen several Syndicate "DH" Nomads with triple crown forks, but if you're gonna go to a true DH contender, might as well go with a VP-Free or V-10.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think it also depends on your size. I currently have a small nomad on order for my wife for her new Dh bike. She has been riding a medium bullit for a few years and it is just way to big and heavy for her to throw around well. She finally agreed to test ride a small Nomad and instantly fell in love with it. We're setting it up with a DHX air, '07 66SL and the lightest strong build possible with a single ring guide. With the short bike it should be way easier for her to get behind teh cg and keep the fron up off of drops...should help with her problems carrying the front on tabletops too.

A light and small rider often does not need 8.5" of travel on a Dh bike because it gets too difficult to preload and maneuver with that much suspension. They also don't need the beefy frame. Now if you're a person over 150lbs and/or about 5'6" then I agree, you need the Free. I ride a medium free and love every second of it....

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Nomads aren't true downhill bikes, nor have they won many dh races, not all Nomads come with that fork/shock combo, and there's a huge thread of various Nomad pics. If you just want a great overall do it all bike a Nomad is great, but if most of your riding is lift assisted then the VP Free would be a better choice. You need to determine what you want the bike for

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Nomads aren't true downhill bikes, nor have they won many dh races, not all Nomads come with that fork/shock combo, and there's a huge thread of various Nomad pics. If you just want a great overall do it all bike a Nomad is great, but if most of your riding is lift assisted then the VP Free would be a better choice. You need to determine what you want the bike for
Steve Peat races a Nomad (and wins) - some privateers as well. No its not the weapon of choice for rough courses, but its getting plenty of use (and wins).

But VP-Free of course (Unless you're racing/DH focussed - then V10)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have proof...

Just last season, Crested Butte, CO. The course is pretty tame with an annoying uphill section. I didn't win but top 10 is good enough for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.