Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just under 6ft and the bike shop have suggested going for a medium frame. On the SC website someone my size should be directed to the large one. Can anyone suggest the right frame size for me?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Jonah; you've got a good question and nobody can give you the right answer. That said, the reason I say that is because there's more to sizing than just numbers when it comes to the Nomad.

I'm 5'10-11" with my shoes and a large is a good fit for me. However, most of my friends are at least as tall and some are taller; they prefer a medium frame. The deciding factor is how comfortable you are on the bike and to a large degree, that's determined by your personal riding style.

For example, my friend is about 5'11" and rides a medium Nomad. His style of riding is aggressive; he likes to keep his wheels off the ground and moving fast; he rides standing up and wants a bike he can move around. My style is almost the opposite, I'm usually sitting down and I'm not very aggressive-stability is very important to me. Same thing goes for my other friends; they're all aggressive riders and like riding a smaller frame.

So the answer to your question has a lot to do with your style of riding; XC, FR, DH. The sizing chart indicates a large frame for your height, however, if you're aggressive and spend a lot of time in the air or on super technical trails, you probably already know the answer to your quesiton. Some of the othes will chip in and give you some tips; just be clear about your riding style. BTW, I'm selling my medium frame and buying a large-hope you get it right the first time.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Jonah, I am your height. I ride a large frame with a 50mm stem. I tried a medium and it felt too cramped to me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mudd said:
Jonah, I am your height. I ride a large frame with a 50mm stem. I tried a medium and it felt too cramped to me.
Me too, although I've just gone from a 50mm to a 70mm stem and pushed the saddle forward a bit for the wet/sloppy/muddy winter riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frame Size

Thanks for the info. You will know how important it is when spending this amount of money to get it right first time. Another question. My bike dealer suggest Bonty Big earls 2.5 running at 40 psi. How do they rate to the Nevegals. What do all you "Nomadians" suggest?

Thanks

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Depends on what you'll be riding.
For XC-ish, I like the Kenda Small Block 8's.
For DH-ish, go with the Nevegals.

I prefer 2.35" for both for the Nomad. Although I've run 2.5" Nevegals.

Never heard of the Bonty Big Earls.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Pick tires specific to the terrain and style of riding; where do you live, what kind of trails; what's your style of riding; how much do you weigh? Big Betty's are one of the best all around tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.