Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input
I've got an 08 Nomad - sweet bike. Its my one bike for everything. I ride mostly backcountry xcountry with the odd shuttle run and maybe a bike park trip once or twice a year.
My nomad came with a Rockshox 318 on it - 7inch coil. Not my first choice but money is an object (still is)
Ideally I'd like to have a 6inch air that i can adjust the travel down a bit for extended climbing and xcountry type stuff. Sure I'd love a fox 36 talas like my last bike - but money is an object.

Any suggestions on what would go nice? I was even toying with the idea of a slightly less than 6inch fork. Going big for me is about a 3 foot drop :)

ideas?

·
Bum Buzzer
1,991 Posts
Lyrik is good! Good match IMO, or TALAS 36.

Air, adjustable, and can do craxy stuff ig you change your mind!

Domain is nice, but a bit heavy and burly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
fox 36 talas!

find a second hand fox36 talas, it would be a great deal if ever your gonna come accross one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
bighitz said:
Did you do this or Fox? How?
Had my LBS order the parts and install. Basically, ripped out the TALAS innards and replaced with VAN coil and seals. As my 2007 TALAS was 150mm and the VAN spring is 160mm, I've got 10mm of permanent preload on the spring, which is fine. Still have rebound/compression adjustments. Total cost: $180 parts/labor. Totally rocks and better than spending $1K.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I managed to get a 2nd hand Talas 36 mint unmarked as new condition for £350 of ebay, my 07 Nomad is a blast with this fork.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i'm having the exact same thoughts. i've been going back and fouth between the 36 float and talas. now, the lyrik(solo air or 2 step)seem to be a good competation too. all 3 forks are within +/- 100 from each other. thing is i dont know which can last longer. i've read fox bad seals,sanction worn out. also lyrik being hard to break in, etc etc. feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ps: i dont need travel adjust in my area, but having it wont hurt on the more technical .

·
New Guy
189 Posts
Nomad 1.5 w/ 36 Talas RC2

Had the bike and fork since the 1.5 Nomads came out ... never a problem with the fork. Just replaced the bit of oil and put on new seals and it feels like new again.

Bottom line is: if you can afford it, then there is no debating the versatility, rebuild-ability, and performance of this fork.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the Lyrick solo. At first I wanted an adjustable fork but after a year of riding I am glad that I do not. Never had any problem with wheel bob while climbing. I have had to replace the seals once. The fork seems to have a large sweet spot regardless of air pressure fluctuations. (recreational rider opinion)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I bit the bullet and put on a 2010 talas rc2. All I can say is damn, wow - yeah thats the ticket! Since installing i've been on about 3 30-40k loops and it is amazing at how it changed the dynamics of the bike. I find the 5inch setting excellent for regular type riding where its perhaps rooty and more technical but uphill. 6inch is fabulous for the flats and downhill. the 4 inch i didn't really use that much. This fork has made an already awesome bike a freaking awesome bike that I do not want to stop riding. this fork also took about 1 1/2lbs off the front of my bike compared to the other fork i had - so all i can say is sweet - thanks for the advice guys

·
Let's RIDE!
73 Posts
Has anyone tried running a tapered (1 1/8-1.5 steerer) fork on their 1.5 headtube Nomad. Would you just need a reducer for the upper head tube? Sorry, if this thread existed or topic has been beat to death...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess I went in the opposite direction of every one else on my '08 Nomad. I originally built it with a Vanilla 36 RC2 and have since swapped it over to a RS Domain 318 coil. I love the fork and think it is substantially better then the Fox I had on there before. Sure it pays a weight penalty but the ride quality is well worth it. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you want the Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 and the only thing stopping you is the $. Go to BikeBling.com this is a great deal check it out . I had one on my Intense Tracer Vpp great fork bullet proof. Fox 36 Talas 160 RC2 One Point Five Disc 2009

Please note: US Fox dealers are prohibited from shipping Fox Shocks out of the US.

List Price: $1,065.00
Our Price: $875.00
You Save $190.00!

Product Code: FOXFACTORY09-FOX36-TALASRC215

Description

Fox 36 Talas 160 RC2 One Point Five Disc 2009: The Fox 36 TALAS is the ultimate all-mountain shredder. Six inches? five?four? 4x? big air? switchbacks? Regardless of where or how you are riding, the 36 Talas is ready to go. The optimized, lightweight all new Fox 36 lower leg with Fox's tool free 20QR system has a stepped 20mm thru-axel which again sets the benchmark for rigidity and steering precision. A linear air spring and fully adjustable high and low speed compression and rebound damping devour whatever terrain is thrown its way. A light flick of the lever switches between three travel options; 160-130-100mm

Specifications

Air Spring
External low speed compression
External high speed compression
External travel adjustment
External air spring pressure adjust
External rebound adjust
Internal Hydraulic bottom out resistance in damper
20mm thru axle
74mm Post sytle disc brake mounts on disc model
100/130/160mm TALAS Travel
Titanium color
1.5" Steerer
5.08 lbs

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a 2009 RockShox Lyric Two step Air 160mm on my 2009 NomadMKII. Could not be happier with this set up. Fork has been great AKA No problems with it at all. I highly recommend this fork for NomadMKII.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts