Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been running a TALAS RC2 on my Nomad for a few months. A buddy has asked if he could buy the fork and I'm keen to accommodate him.

I would describe myself as an aggressive XC rider. No drops or jumps or downhilling! I like being able to wind down the TALAS on climbs. However, I am also tempted by the XC inclinations of the Float 36.

What do you guys think of a nomad / Float 36 combo? Anyone running this set up?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I saw your post over on suspension also. I don't think the Float is out yet, but I could be wrong. I have a Van 36 and love it, but I think the Float 36 will turn out to be a good fork. It will also be 6.3" like the Van, and it obviously won't have the travel loss issue. If I recall, it won't have any on-the-fly travel adjustment like the Talas, but frankly I've never used any of them on forks I owned that were equipped with them. If I didn't have my Van, I'd be very tempted to look at a Float.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Here in HongKong I've seen the Float 36 RC2. Looks quite good, but one strange this is the left blue knob on top of the crown, its like a VAN preload knob but has no text printed on it. It appears to have no function also.

I'm sticking with my VAN 36 though..... TALAS 36 already sold.

Also I never used the TALAS adjustment.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I posted on your other thread that I didn't think they exist; they certainly aren't mentioned on Fox's site that I can see. I did a search and it seems these guys already are selling them, although they say it's only 140mm/5.5 travel in part of their description...http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/bikeparts/forks-suspension.htm

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Scroll down a bit.

Bikinfoolferlife said:
I posted on your other thread that I didn't think they exist; they certainly aren't mentioned on Fox's site that I can see. I did a search and it seems these guys already are selling them, although they say it's only 140mm/5.5 travel in part of their description...http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/bikeparts/forks-suspension.htm
I notice it says 6.3" which is what the '07 will have. I still wonder if it's actually available yet. I've seen Jenson and some others do this in a type of pre-order deal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
rogue said:
Here in HongKong I've seen the Float 36 RC2. Looks quite good, but one strange this is the left blue knob on top of the crown, its like a VAN preload knob but has no text printed on it. It appears to have no function also.
I just rode a Float 36 today. The blue knob on the left leg is just an air cap. When you unscrew it, you'll see the schrader valve for the fork. So far, it's a pretty nice fork. Very similar to my Talas 36. However, my Talas seems to blow through the travel much faster than the Float 36. That's the only difference so far. I'll ride the bike one more time before I have to give it back to the lbs. Oh yeah, it choppered the hell out of my demo bike, which is a Chumba Evo. I'd love to take the fork off and put it on my Nomad just to see how it rides. I'm guessing it won't change that much, the Nomad climbs great already in full travel mode on the TALAS.

G

·
rug wheelie said:
Fox has been shipping '07 forks for about 2-3 weeks. I received an '07 Vanilla RC2 last week. When I ordered the Vanilla the Float 36 was available.
The float 36 is available from fox and like the 32 float can be adjusted internal down to 80 or 100 mm if you want.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm Choppy

Choppy you say? Definitely a no-no then.

I had a superlight pair of PACE carbon legged forks on my Nomad to begin with. I HATED them! They only had lockdown or 150mm travel. No in - between.Made the bike all but useless on climbs.

Looks like the TALAS 36 for me then!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.