Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This bad boy endured 1.5 rockin seasons! Instead of a new bike this year, I decided just to rebuild this motha!!
All the X-Mas goodies have been installed....
1> Stripped frame and removed OEM Decals (or what was left of em!)
2> Applied decals custom stylee to my own liking (get your decal set from SC web site!)
3> The goods...:drumroll:
New Custom Wheel Set (thanks to the wife!): King hubs laced to Mavic 819 w/ DT dbl butted black spokes & black brass nip's, UST Conti 2.3" :crazy:
New Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 185mm (hydro of course!)
New Drive line: XT FD, XT cranks, SRAM XO twist and black box RD, SRAM 990 Cassette

Easton Carbon Monkey Lite bar; Thompson Stem and Seat post; WTB Pure V Ti saddle; King Head Set; Fox 36 Talas and DHX air (both brand new on warranties from Fox!!!), oh yeah... Crank Bros Candy SL's. I think that covers it!

Final weight 31.34 lbs (no bull folks!) Thats a Large frame btw

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Weight ???

That is a nice ride. My Nomad is built somewhat heavier, not that it is much of a problem but to drop 5lbs would also be nice.

Can you post the weight of the front and back wheel. It would be interesting to see the comparison of a full front or back wheel, complete, against what I am running.

I know that wheels can really add the lbs. My previous bike had a Mavic 325 with downhill tubes, and Maxxis 2.7 doulble ply, and a 8" rotor, When I weighed it I just about fell over. The front was 12lbs, since that point I have gone down to a 2.5 tire and no more DH tubes.

So if you could post up the weight of the front and back wheels complete is would be interesting

Cheers

Jeff

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel weight

rideitall>
the wheels out of the box with out rotors or tires, was 1920g or 1940g. I think the rear was 2.2lbs and the front (20mm) 2 lbs even. I was running MAXXIS 2.35 Minion's at like 865g each (with tubes which are 200 g each on the lite side!) on the old wheel set and now have the Conti Vertical UST at 650g each.
I went down from 8" rotors to 7" with the Avids, so that helped a lot right there. I am also going to switch my Candy SL's out for Egg Beater SL's and save another .3 to .5 lbs.

Go Tubless!!!

·
deez nuts
228 Posts
I would love to ride a VPP....but i would have to get a second job to pay for the bearing maintenance and that would be less time riding.

I am old and don't buy into these new fangled, fad bike designs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
shaft said:
I would love to ride a VPP....but i would have to get a second job to pay for the bearing maintenance and that would be less time riding.

I am old and don't buy into these new fangled, fad bike designs.
No more excuses:nono: SC is now offering a lifetime warranty on bearings:thumbsup:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm just on the other side of the pass from you guys, and I've never had any problems with my bearings/pivots. The dry air up here will keep 'em from creakin'. All the old crusty guys that I work with are the same way, they'd rather stick to their old Superlights than go to anything that's VPP.

BTW, like the pics of the build Seth. I'm amped up to get my new Nomad later this week.

·
deez nuts
228 Posts
Naw, I'm just giving B-Seth a hard time. The VPP bikes are super sweet and i know the old bearing problems are a thing of the past.

I have a new Turner RFX on order and B-Seth loves to give me shizz about it being a single pivot....and technically it is.

Boy Scout Trail.....please show us this Summer, i hear it's awesome!

Shaft

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Boy Scout Trail is a fun one. A solid climb, and a nice long singletrack that follows a contour high above Glenwood Canyon for 12 miles or so before a fun little descent back into town.

·
deez nuts
228 Posts
Boogie Man said:
The Boy Scout Trail is a fun one. A solid climb, and a nice long singletrack that follows a contour high above Glenwood Canyon for 12 miles or so before a fun little descent back into town.
Let's trade some guide services this Summer. Summit Cty. has some real nice stuff too. We will get in touch in July:)

·
deez nuts
228 Posts
dusthuffer said:
I challenge you on that weight - lets see a pic of that hanging from a scale!
Word, B-Seth needs to get off the pipe...it feels more like 35lbs.

Some kook (the head mechanic) at the Cycle Garage in Boulder told me and B-Seth his Nomad weighed 28lbs this weekend. It was full XTR, DT Swiss 1750's and Lyric air but there is no way. I love people who love to spray.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
That's cool. Actually a superlight XC build on a trailbike is hip in my book despite the haters who can't see any other way to clear a rock garden than by running doubletracks and 2.5's.

·
Registered
400 Posts
28lbs? Maybe on paper. My Blur LT was a little bit under 28 lbs, and it was built up pretty light. I'm transferring everything over to a new Nomad frame, and upgrading from a 130 Vanilla to a 36 Vanilla. Roughly +3lb. I'll be happy if it weighs right around 31lbs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dusthuffer

RE: weight challenge. will do. I am leaving the office here shortly. I'll take a pic of it hangin on the scale at the shop. I think that scale might actually be heavy? You did mean the 31.3 lbs NOT the wheel weight yeah? I am not stippin the stans out of the wheels to get a pic.:p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.