Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm on the verge of ordering a Nomad carbon frame and am looking for some recommendations on fork and shock choice.

I've all but decided on a Fox 36 Float RLC but the VAN RC2 keeps catching my eye - they're a bit cheaper than the Float, have more damping adjustability and I'll never really use the lockout on the Float.

Is anyone running 180mm forks on their bikes? Is this worth considering, or should I stick to 160mm?

Shock-wise, here in the UK it ships with an RP23. DHX RC4 is available as an upgrade, I'd appreciate some views from people with experience of both on the NomadC. Does the RC4 pedal as well as the RP23? Is it worth the weight penalty?

I own a singlespeed Cove Hummer that I use for shorter rides, so the Nomad will be used for longer rides, trail centres and also for the more extreme stuff we have round here - not full on DH but reasonable drops, jumps and rough stuff.#

What's the verdict then? Coil/Coil, Air/Air, or something else?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Neil.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's almost time for my next nomad and I will be ordering DHX air with the 36 Talas rlc. I've been riding a Mk 1 with the DHX and 150 talas 36 for 5.5 years and it has treated me well from freeride to all day epic stuff. Plus I am looking forward to dropping 3 pounds of bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi there Neil S.

Where abouts are you in the UK? I'm in the Lakes. I too am running a Nomad C and a Cove Hummer (but not single speed). I've got my Nomad spec'd with a 160mm coil Lyrik (just serviced by TF Tuned and feels the nuts) and a RP23 on the rear. The RP23 feels fine but I'm about to shell out for a Cane Creek Double Barrel - should have it in about 10days so will post again with an update. I'm hoping that the CCDB will prop up the rear a little but still be super active on everything from small chatter to the rock strewn trails such as Garburn etc...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm loving my BOS Stoy shock and really thinking in the replacement of the 36 talas over a BOS Deville.

The big advantage of the BOS Stoy over the CCDB is the much easier set up, with a very close work which is just amazing in both cases.

For my experience that's probably the best Fork/shock combination to the Nomad. They will have a Bos n'dee with 160mm that should work even better, but of course is 1kg more so that's on you.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I've gone back and forth between 160 and 180 and now have a 36 180 reduced to 170. That's the sweet spot for me. Full 180 the bb is a bit too tall for my taste; I just can't corner as well. WIth a 160 I feel the head angle is a bit steep. For all around riding a 160 really is the best fork for a nomad and most will find a 180 makes the bike too tall, but it really depends on the trails you're riding and your personal style/taste.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Great info there, many thanks!

Balakeka said:
For my experience that's probably the best Fork/shock combination to the Nomad. They will have a Bos n'dee with 160mm that should work even better, but of course is 1kg more so that's on you.
That's just too much money Balakeka, plus I'd rather have the comfort of buying a brand with a strong presence in the UK in case I have a warranty issue.

BLUR'b said:
Where abouts are you in the UK? I'm in the Lakes.
Lucky, lucky man! I'm in North Yorkshire :) It's going to be a couple of weeks before my frame lands so let me know how you get on with the CCDB and I may take the plunge!

slimat99 said:
I've gone back and forth between 160 and 180 and now have a 36 180 reduced to 170. That's the sweet spot for me. Full 180 the bb is a bit too tall for my taste; I just can't corner as well. WIth a 160 I feel the head angle is a bit steep. For all around riding a 160 really is the best fork for a nomad and most will find a 180 makes the bike too tall, but it really depends on the trails you're riding and your personal style/taste.
Excellent - thank you! :thumbsup:

Neil.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Neil S said:
Hi,

Great info there, many thanks!

That's just too much money Balakeka, plus I'd rather have the comfort of buying a brand with a strong presence in the UK in case I have a warranty issue.

Lucky, lucky man! I'm in North Yorkshire :) It's going to be a couple of weeks before my frame lands so let me know how you get on with the CCDB and I may take the plunge!

Excellent - thank you! :thumbsup:

Neil.
Never thought this was a problem in the UK. I'm in Portugal and keep the DHX5, just to ensure I'll never need it and also that no one else will have to use it again.:)
You know Murphy law don't you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.