Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved santa cruz bikes. and the city. skate boards.... anyways.

i have been looking at buying a nomad frame. i was going to pull my parts off my '07 cannondale prophet.

was looking at finding a all around mountain. something that can bomb downhill and also climb. the prophet can only go down. sucks as a climber. and i have a fox talas.

no more cannondales......

the nomad feels like a better ride.

what years are made in the USA? and what years did they change? was looking at frames from 07/08 to keep my cost down a tad...

any help and advice?

i thought santa cruz was sold off, but i heard its the same guy. skateboard guy, forgot his name.....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody?

1.) any nomad frame changes in the years? looking at 06-09.

2.) made in the USA? or are the giant frames like i have heard before.

3.) is the company a corporation or still small?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I'll have a go.

1)Yes, theres 2 versions of the Nomad now. Theres VPP1 and VPP2. 2009 onwards they made the swap to VPP2.

2)Newer frames are no longer made in the USA. They are now made in Taiwan for the aluminum frames and China for the carbon frames.

3) I'm not too sure myself you can't call them small. Neither are they as big as Giant, Specialized,etc.

Well, I think you should try to get a Nomad version 2. Get the best frame you can afford.

P.S love your display photo

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perfect.

1.) how can you tell the difference? and what is the difference?

2.) what was the last year for USA frames?

and all my parts are from '07 so thats why i was thinking around that time frame/frame.

Well, I'll have a go.

1)Yes, theres 2 versions of the Nomad now. Theres VPP1 and VPP2. 2009 onwards they made the swap to VPP2.

2)Newer frames are no longer made in the USA. They are now made in Taiwan for the aluminum frames and China for the carbon frames.

3) I'm not too sure myself you can't call them small. Neither are they as big as Giant, Specialized,etc.

Well, I think you should try to get a Nomad version 2. Get the best frame you can afford.

P.S love your display photo

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
1) you can tell the difference from looking at the toptube. The earlier ones look much swoopier and curvier. The VPP2 dont have quite the same hump as the original. The upper links on the originals look much bigger than the VPP2 links. You can also tell by looking where the upper link connects to the bottom of the toptube. If you notice, on the originals, the link connects to the toptube on the outside of the frame, whereas the VPP2 link, the frame drops down, encompassing the link. That was a terrible description, but just look at the upper link and you can see the differences Im talking about.,

ORIGINAL:

VPP2 Nomad:

2) im guessing all of the VPP2 Nomads were built in Taiwan and before that, the originals were built in the USA. All your components were probably made overseas, or at least sourced overseas, so really, who cares?

3) pretty sure Santa Cruz is still owned by Rob Roskopp. (spelling?) Not sure why you care about how big the company is. Theyre relatively small compared to Giant and Specialized, but bigger than some other companies out there.

From reading this board, it seems that the VPP2 Nomads are better climbers than the original. that seems to be the general consensus.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, like sooner518 has mentioned, the easiest way to differentiate is the upper link.

Nomad version 1 has a metal upper link. It looks like this Santa Cruz Bicycles

Nomad version 2 has a carbon upper link. And it looks like this Santa Cruz Bicycles

Welll, I haven't ridden an original Nomad so I cant comment on how it performs. I'm unsure of which date they made the switch to Taiwan.

But regardless of which version you go, I'm quite sure you'd enjoy it nonetheless.

Cheers.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks guys..... Yeah Rob Roskopp. I was just saying Corporation bikes vrs a small to med company.

I understand all bikes are going overseas to be made, even the IBIS which i was also looking at. It sad to me trying to always have a Made in USA frame. And now they are a dying breed.

I understand about the components. but thats a different story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.