Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to run a flush lower headset cup with a 1.5 steer? I've done it with a 1 1/8 reducer cup but I was told you can't run a zero stack lower assembly on a nomad 2 with a 1.5 steer. Is this right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same results in my own searching. Check out the reviews at the bottom of this page:

www [dot] universalcycles [dot] com/shopping/product_details.php?id=36972&category=726]Universal Cycles -- FSA Orbit E Headset[/url]

Makes it pretty clear that this is the way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ovalizing?

Any thoughts or experience with this headset over time? Have it now and am a bit weary of how short the pressed portion (not sure what to call this) of the cup is. About half as deep as the Cane Creek. Is the shorter length begging for ovalization or do you think the frame can handle it?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any thoughts or experience with this headset over time? Have it now and am a bit weary of how short the pressed portion (not sure what to call this) of the cup is. About half as deep as the Cane Creek. Is the shorter length begging for ovalization or do you think the frame can handle it?
Yeah, the headset I replaced was deep, this one is short. No problem yet and my frame is 3 years old, about 6 months with this lower cup. I have never ovalized a head tube before so I wasn't too worried about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thx, Slima.

Thinking the insertion on the zero stack cups doesn't need to be as deep as an external cup given that the force on the bearings (is a ZS) is distributed more directly to the frame. Make any sense?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.