Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually measured the head tube angle on their nomad 2?

I know the sc website says 67, but it says that for my V10 as well and after measuring yesterday it came to 65.5 with a Boxxer and Chris king headset.

Very curious as I find a true 67 HA to be too steep for my liking in practice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Do a search... I measured mine and now forgot what it was... but there's a whole thread on measuring it and I think some people put what theirs is.... I think it was 66.3 or something with Nevegal 2.35 f & r.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I think SC measures their HA in a static (no sagg) position. That's the only way I can see the v10 having a 67 HA. If you factor 35 or 45% sagg on a 10" bike you would set the HA around 64, 65 I would think which would be standard for DH race. So if this is true, 30% sag on the nomad with 160 travel would set it nice and slack for it's class. If someone knows better and I'm totally wrong please let me know. Like you I like a slack bike and feel my nomad is plenty slack, though there are times I wish it was slacker. I think SC dialed the Nomad's geo just right: if it was any slacker it would wander too much on the climbs, steer too slow for tight switchbacks, and become a headach on long rides. It's just slack enough to let you rip, but steep enough to let you ride all day including long dedicated climbes. That's the deffinition of All Mountain! Well done SC! Even though I feel SC dialed the geo perfect, I'm looking to put the new 170mm Lyrik on mine to slacken it out an extra .5. Here's an idea if you really want a slack ass bike to pedal around xc: buy an older vp free, pull the 2.75x8.75 shock and replace it with a 2.5x8.5 shock. This will give you a HA around 65, and rear travel of 180. Air sprung you could have a vp free at 34 or 35lbs with a 65 ha built tough enough to do ANYTHING!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think he factored that in, you can get - 2 degree flush cups, which would be 1.5 slacker than a normal headset.
Some of you are talking about the head angle getting slacker under sag, with a 160 fork and equal sag front and rear it really wouldn't change much.
The V10 is a little different with lots of sag, in theory 40% sag on the rear is 4 inches, 30% on the front(standard 8 inch fork) is 2.4 inches of sag, so the rear sags 1.6 inches more than the front which from my rough guess is about 1.5 degrees slacker.
My Verizon contract is up in a week, then I get a new Droid and I will measure mine! Probably half the bikes at the LBS to the annoyance of my mechanic too!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
partswhore said:
Has anyone actually measured the head tube angle on their nomad 2?

I know the sc website says 67, but it says that for my V10 as well and after measuring yesterday it came to 65.5 with a Boxxer and Chris king headset.

Very curious as I find a true 67 HA to be too steep for my liking in practice.

Thanks.
Just to clear this up a bit. The 65.5 was static. After sag the HA was 60.9! I'm running a little too much sag right now, about 37%

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.