Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pretty old nomad 1, the rear end now moves (counterrotates) when i lift the bike. the bearings are relatively new and i think it is down to the little rubber bump stop having worn away - see pics. anyone had this or have run the nomad like this for any length of time. dont know if i should replace it plus entire link or not bother. just surprised that the vpp relies on a rubber bump stop to prevent play?

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
munky, that rubber bumper is not really designed as a serious bottomout for overextension. It's just a pad to ease any contact that might occur when an overextension occurs...like when removing your shock or such. When you have a severe overextension like you may be describing, you may have some kind of bearing or shock problem causing a great amount of excess movement. Now...you say you have new bearings, so that's probably eliminated. Something in the shock body itself could be allowing a serious overextension, but it would appear you could detect that by carefully measuring your shock's full extension at eye-to-eye. My gen 1 and 1.5 Nomads accepted an 8.75" shock without overextension, so I'd think you'd have to have some serious overextension at your shock to cause this. Is it possible you have a serious crack at some point on the frame that is allowing this? All that said, some "squishing" of this rubber bumper seems to occur naturally over time with use. Can you tell that you really have a problem by detecting some really noticeable "flop" or looseness at the linkage? Most of the time when you feel looseness on these Nomads, it's because of the spacer and/or shock bushing wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.