Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry - yet another tyre choice question - however I'm going to ask it anyway;)

I ride (non competitive) XC/all mountain in the French Pyrenees and the terrain is very mixed - ranging from hard and rocky, to rooty/leafy forest tracks and open fire roads. Not much in the way of sand or gravel. In the wet there is not much deep sticky mud, but what there is tends to be VERY greasy and it is easy to loose the front end in corners and traction climbing - and obviously the roots and leaves are pretty slippery too.

At the moment I'm running Conti vert pros front and rear on my hard tail and they are not too bad - much better than a pair of Nobby Nics that I ran for a while which were OK in the dry but frankly scary in the wet (and very thorn puncture prone).

I've found a couple of deals on Nokian NBX and Geax Barro both in 2.3. I wondered if any one has thoughts/experience of one or both of these as to which would work better for me and how the size compares with the verts (I know there may be sizes on Shiggys site but that seems to be a bit bust at the moment??)

Anyway thanks in advance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Try the Schwalbe Alberts or Fat Alberts. They are better in overall grip (especially in wet) than the Nobby Nics or Barros. The Barro 2.3 is better in the wet than the NN but the NN can be scary at times so that may not be saying a whole lot about teh Barro's wet-trail capability. No experience with the Nokians but for tubed tires, the Maxxis Minion is also a very good choice and has better wet grip than many.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the look of the Alberts - but at the moment I am tempted by the price of the Nokian NBX or Geax Barro - both available locally for about 20 euros as opposed to 35+ for an Albert. Just wondering if they are worth a shot really...Isn't the Minion a DH tyre?? and quite a bit heavier than the others?

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I've used an NBX 2.3 on the front for three years now, and the main reason I've kept it on the front is, it's totally predictable in different temperatures and conditions - no sudden washouts, clears mud pretty well. Tread rubber is soft enough to grip well enough on wet rocks and roots (and in the cold), but even after 3 years mine looks almost new. Because they are dual compound (harder compound under soft surface) they handle hardpack well, don't squirm like some other knobby tires (Gazzas or Weirwolfs for example).

Actual width is 2.15" (I think what Shiggy has listed too) so they are not very big, but a decent size for XC/trail riding.

I don't have experience with Geax, so can't help with that one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts fsrxc - that is really useful info.

Sounds like NBX is the way to go. The size at 2.15" is around the same as the conti verts that i am running at the moment which leave enough room for claggy mud to clear - so anything much bigger, though tempting, would be a problem:)

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Mr B said:
Just out of interest what do you run on the back??
Because the rear has different traction needs than the front, I usually don't use the same tires front and rear (but many people do). I usually pick the rear tire based on how much climbing traction is needed on a given trail (we have some big steep climbs) and whether I'm riding a bit on the road too.

Some I've used and found pretty good as a rear tire, depending on conditions:
Hutch Spider (wears fast though)
Michelin XC Dry (rolls really nicely on hardpack or pavement and wears well).
Michelin XC A/T - currently mounted - haven't ridden it yet but looks good for muddy or loose conditions.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Barro 2.3 TNT is an average tyre in the dry but does not have much traction in wet or slippery conditions. Knobs are also not very strong and prone to tearing. Better suited as a rear tyre but I would look elsewhere if you want a performance tyre.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.