Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI - I just bought another Nokian NBX lite 2.0 (non-UST) and it weighed 530 grams. This compares to the pair I bought last year - each weighed around 480 grams.
However - this new tire sealed with Stans easier than any tire I have ever mounted!! Absolutely not a single leak that required sealing. I'm thinking they made the sidewalls a little thicker. I think there were complaints about people having problems cutting their Nokians in the rocks.
Have not been able to find a faster XC tire than this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine were heavier

I bought and returned a pair that weighed 550 and 558 grams. That seemed like too much weight for a tire with small fragile knobs and I was concerned the extra rubber would affect their notorious rolling resistance. Now I'm running a standard racing ralph without a tube at 483 grams on the rear and a 2.1 UST ralph at 676 grams on the front and like them a lot. I still want to try a sub-500gram pair of nbx lites. There's an old thread in this forum under "another porky NBX lite".

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
I bought one about 2 months ago and it weighed 545g. I think the weight fluctuations are real and not an improvement. I also think it indicates poor process control. That tire just blew off my rim over the weekend as I was pumping it to 55psi (XR4.2d / Eclipse kit). The bead had expanded and I was suspicious that it might blow off on my ride. That should never happen in a static situation. I will not be buying another. As for rolling resistance - I think the benefits are overstated. The most important tests of RR through some kind of soil show that volume is what is important. Sure the NBX has low RR on a treadmill, but that is absolutely no indicator of what it is like when the knobs dig into the soil. And even if true I doubt the lower RR would offset the porky weight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.