Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Steve and I'm a weight weenie. At 6'3" and 195lbs I currently ride Mythos 2.10 tires, primarily in hardpack/dusty/SoCal conditions and do about six races per year. To save weight and benefit from less rolling resistance, I am seriously considering switching to the Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites. My concern is that I am a fairly big guy, as bike racers go, and perhaps this is too small a tire for me. Does anyone have any negative experience with the Nokian's, or other suggestions for someone my size? Should I go with the 2.2's as an alternative? Thanks.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Hi Steve.....

Dirt Pilot said:
My name is Steve and I'm a weight weenie. At 6'3" and 195lbs I currently ride Mythos 2.10 tires, primarily in hardpack/dusty/SoCal conditions and do about six races per year. To save weight and benefit from less rolling resistance, I am seriously considering switching to the Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites. My concern is that I am a fairly big guy, as bike racers go, and perhaps this is too small a tire for me. Does anyone have any negative experience with the Nokian's, or other suggestions for someone my size? Should I go with the 2.2's as an alternative? Thanks.
...I'm Fred at 195 with a little lower center of gravity than you.. Been running NBX 2.0 @ 40psi off and on since Dec in Norcal. Haven't had any problems, but I'm not a really agressive rider. Anything over a 2ft drop and I'm walking. Ran them on FS at Sea Otter(hardpack and sandy s-track) and on my SS a few weeks ago in somewhat rocky conditions a they worked great. I just replaced the worn out rear. I think they're fine under certain conditions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fred-da-trog said:
...I'm Fred at 195 with a little lower center of gravity than you.. Been running NBX 2.0 @ 40psi off and on since Dec in Norcal. Haven't had any problems, but I'm not a really agressive rider. Anything over a 2ft drop and I'm walking. Ran them on FS at Sea Otter(hardpack and sandy s-track) and on my SS a few weeks ago in somewhat rocky conditions a they worked great. I just replaced the worn out rear. I think they're fine under certain conditions.
Fred,

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you have had no problems with them. Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
No personal exp. but a good friend who's a pretty competitive Expert XC guy had a pair and didn't really care for them. They're real skinny, like a 1.85....

I'm more interested in the new 2.2 or 2.3 Lite version thats supposed to be coming out.

Anybody have info on these???

BTW - My buddy is only 150lbs.....
I'm 200 and 6'5", and seeing some size inspires one's confidence.
Just my 2 bits....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The 2.2 lites

"should" be available per Nokian in about 30 days.
I have been running the 2.1 lites, I'm 185 lbs and have no problems with them for their intended use.

KMan

DMFT said:
No personal exp. but a good friend who's a pretty competitive Expert XC guy had a pair and didn't really care for them. They're real skinny, like a 1.85....

I'm more interested in the new 2.2 or 2.3 Lite version thats supposed to be coming out.

Just my 2 bits....

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks Kman, those 2.2's will be getting put on the "want list" at the shop.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Dirt Pilot said:
If the Nokians don't work out for you, look at the Kenda Karma DTC's. They weigh roughly the same, usually in the 460-480 range, and are fast rolling with good grip. They are also a surprisingly big, large volume tire, larger than many if not most 2.1's. I weigh 185 and they have been working out great.

I am also looking forward to trying the larger NBX lite when it comes out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DMFT said:

Just my 2 bits....
Are they really that skinny? Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, they are that skinny. When I set them next to my Python AirLite 2.0, they look tiny. They are also "low-volume", ie not tall.
On the plus side, they roll fast and grip well in most conditions. However, my rear tire is wearing down after about 600 miles. I will probably have to replace it before the year is over. Oh well, you pay for performance.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
On vacation

Dirt Pilot said:
Fred,

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you have had no problems with them. Where did you buy them?

sorry long to respond. Well not that sorry. I just spent 8 days roaming Sierra trails from Downieville to Bear Valley CA. Here's where I've found the best deals so far http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TR1177

1 - 10 of 10 Posts