Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
GEOMAN said:
Pretty wintery out here in the West so I bought a set of Nokian Gazza Extreme 294's for the icy roads (see pics).

I found a set of Vuelta XRP's (for $160 - cheap!) so I have two wheelsets, one with studs.
Cool! Talk about your built in muscle endurance intervals while rotating a total 4500g+ set of wheels/rubber through the snow!!!!

BB

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
if you're used to the 26" version you will be a little dissapointed with those
they have the same # of knobs and studs as the 26" version so believe it or not that little bit is noticeable. that said what other options are out there? none

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm copying my post from another thread here, since this is a better place for it:

I think they are the best ready made 29" MTB studded tires. At least they are the only ones available. The width is not enough for any floatation, but that is not a big issue for my trails, since the urban trails get used enough for the surface to get quite firm within a few days after snowfall. The grip is generally good and on ice it is also good enough. On a hard surface (e.g tarmac) they roll poorly.

I have two pairs of them and all four tires were bought in the fall of 2007. Last winter was really bad here, almost no snow and just enough ice on the trails to make studded tires necessary. As a result they lost lots of studs. Before this winter season I replaced about 100 studs on the four tires together. Now the studs seem to stay put a lot better, maybe because I used glue on the replacement studs. Perhaps the rubber has cured a little more over the summer as well. According to a mail I got from the manufacturer, the version of this season should be better in this regards, since the mold was changed slightly.

Still, I have sent an email to Schwalbe asking them to make the Ice Spiker Pro in 29" size. It probably won't happen.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Last year I got a pair of the Nokian 240's that are 40mm wide and thought they worked pretty well. In the deeper snow they would cut through down to the firm ground or ice. But they were a little squirrely on our dirt roads that had been plowed because the equipment used to plow leaves grooves in the surface that run parallel with the road.

I got a pair of the 294's this year and have a lot more confidence on the roads. While not as wide as my old 26" 296's the wide spaced knobs seem to work off road as well. My 294's weighed 1050 and 1100 grams, right at the published weight.

·
GeoMan
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doggity said:
Schweet! May I ask who's got the best price on these?
I got my pair from www.ibikedoyou2.com using the FACEBOOK 10% discount (code = TIRES) for $152 delivered - comparable to aebike.com but this source is in the west so free shipping was 2 days to me in NM.

Bikeman was $170.49 delivered from Maine, $18 more expensive.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Same studs, bigger tire...

I've heard reports of where the stud traction is not as good on the 29" version; at least on glazed ice. Less studs seem to contact the ice at a given tire patch on the 29er version.

Not much of an issue on hard snow but rather during the very slick ice periods.

Some may argue that the contact patch should be larger on the 29er thus applying more studs. But that's only if you are running relatively lower pressures. Running slightly higher pressures with studded tires is usually required to get the studs to "dig in".

Yes, I know, splitting hairs a bit, but I've had reports of the problem and how much harder would it be for Nokian to throw in a few more studs?

When you look at the pictured tire you must admit the studs are spaced pretty far out.

Anyway. I used the 26" version for years with great results. IMO I think ice riding would be a good application for a 69er.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Miker J said:
I've heard reports of where the stud traction is not as good on the 29" version
It's true. If you have never run a studded tire before you may be satisfied, but if you have any significant time on 26" offerings from Nokian (Hakka 300, Extreme 296, Freddies Revenz) you will be very disappointed in the 29er Extreme 294. They should have copied the Freddies and maybe gone up to 360+ studs. Especially compared to the 26" Freddies, the 29" Extreme really blows on ice. :(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Outsider said:
Before this winter season I replaced about 100 studs on the four tires together. Now the studs seem to stay put a lot better, maybe because I used glue on the replacement studs.
Where did you get the extra studs, and what method did you use to replace them? The pair I used last year seemed to lose an inordinate amount of studs too. :mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just took my maiden (real trail) voyage on my 29er 294s today and although I don't have any previous experience with studded tires, besides a DIY jobby many years back, they made a trail that was utterly unridable before completely ridable and a hell of a lot of fun too. Guess I just have to keep of the 26" version so I don't know what I'm missing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.