Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to re-mount my (new) 296s for a New Years Day ride & what do I notice, a stud missing. Oh well, no big deal...well upon a closer inspection, I got 3 ripped lugs on one tire & 2 lugs ripped on the other, the studs of course are missing as well. The lugs are 1/2 ripped from the middle of the tire towards the outside. Just kinda hanging there.

Background: I rode them about 5 miles on pavement, then off to mixed single track x4.
got about 40 miles on them - all ST, frozen mud, 50' ice patches, a little rock climbing/decending, 2-3 inches of soft snow, mud & hardpack,...

WTF, easy goiing, mild winter riding, man. I rode these 4 times at about 30 lbs & thought they were great, till I just noticed the breakage or should I say rippage. I used them on my FS & I'm about 200lbs. These are my 1st studs.

I bought them from my LBS, I know they were "hanging around" for over a year & a half, so I offered $70 on the marked tag of $85 per.

Do these tires have to be run in "frozen only" conditions only? I have run these trails thousands upon thousands of miles and have had very little lug damage on many tires.
The only thing I can think of is too little "break in", but WTF! I don't see how running them on pavement would have anything to do with the lugs themselves, studs yes, lugs no. Other than that the damage can on;y be from the lugs trying to hold on to rock.

Do they have Dry Rot & how do I tell? Defective? Whats the prob, man? Should I report this to my LBS or am I just too much of a stoner?

Thank you & Happy New Year!

·
Registered
50 Posts
tires..

keep them off the rocks...I just made a pair for the mountainbike last night..but I have had them on my dirtbike for years..You can ride on snow and ice all day long but be carefull around rocks ....

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
As ktmsx said, rocks bad. Think about it: the knobs have wells molded down into them which flare about half way down to hold the stud's mushroom head. That means the tire's knobs are all cut part of the way through in the middle on the inside from the factory. High shear forces will just tear the remaining rubber.

That said, I have thousands of miles on Extreme 296s, hundreds of those offroad, and have lost a few studs over the years, but NEVER sheared a knob on those. The Hakka WXC300 tires, on the other hand, have pretty delicate knobs and softer duro rubber which do tear too easily. I just let my GF ride those.

Always avoid rocks though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts