Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I posted a similar thread but now think it may have been too confusing so I will try again.
I have a pair of Tora forks on my Kona. They make a lot of noise which I originally thought was a bad bearings in the head set. I have since discovered that the wipers are running dry on the fork tubes. I lube them with Tri Lube but that is good for about one ride and then they squeak again.
Anyone have any suggestions? I was considering trying to loosen the garter springs.
I don't think it's anything too serious but it is annoying as hell!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Stop using the pair of Tora forks. Service or have serviced the pair of Tora forks. They are dry. Much info here to do this. It is easy as cooking a cake. Or baking a banana

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 1niceride. Just downloaded the SRAM service info from their website. Looks pretty easy, never done bicycle forks before but have done M/C forks so it should be pretty easy. I never considered that they could be dry. I bought the bike second hand with very little use (2 rides maybe). But that was over a year ago and i have no idea how the bike was stored since it was new in 07.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey HIGHDELL,

You see what I did? Don't understand that.
Not too sure that the forks need service. Only thing is that the bike is hung on a hook for storage and I'm not sure how it was stored prior to my owning it. I have been told that if forks are left upside down for long (hot) periods there can be loss of oil past the seals.
I have an engineering background and do have some knowledge of radial lip seals and dont buy the leaking past the seals bit. That would take years.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
dkjordan said:
Hey HIGHDELL,

You see what I did? Don't understand that.
Not too sure that the forks need service. Only thing is that the bike is hung on a hook for storage and I'm not sure how it was stored prior to my owning it. I have been told that if forks are left upside down for long (hot) periods there can be loss of oil past the seals.
I have an engineering background and do have some knowledge of radial lip seals and dont buy the leaking past the seals bit. That would take years.
I didn't quote you :skep:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
highdelll...I hide many of these things in code. Let the other save face as in my Dale Carnegie training, as long as they get the hint. 38 years ago I just realized I took that..

dkj...deal with what is, not what seems. Service all forks when you recieve them, new or old.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
1niceride said:
highdelll...I hide many of these things in code. Let the other save face as in my Dale Carnegie training, as long as they get the hint. 38 years ago I just realized I took that..

dkj...deal with what is, not what seems. Service all forks when you recieve them, new or old.
I got ya -
Should I knock harder? or no.
I'm sure someone else will come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts