Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am running a 888R on my DH bike. Although I am reasonably happy with the performance (it's a little soft), I can't believe how noisy the thing is. The springs seem to be rattling around inside the fork so when I hit bumps (big and small) it sounds like the fork's falling apart! I had another 888R before this one (which broke and had to be returned under warranty - a whole other story!), and it had the exact same rattling noise to it. One of my friends is also running the 888, and it sounds the same as well?!

Is anyone else experiencing these rattling sounds with their 888s? And, does anyone know why it happens, or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
for the 18 billionth time.....

PUT MORE OIL IN YOUR FORK

a simple SEARCH will tell you this...
WCH YOUR WRONG ON THIS ONE

You need to move the C-clip down a notch or 2 and the springs will stop rattling. I ran into the same problem and found all it was, was a stupid little clip.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
snowskilz said:
You need to move the C-clip down a notch or 2 and the springs will stop rattling. I ran into the same problem and found all it was, was a stupid little clip.
I second snoskilz, the problem is the spring preload. Easy fix, usually one notch down will do the trick.

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
Yeah, I'll chime in and 50th that. On a new 888, after a ride or two the springs kind of "break in" and permanantly compress a bit, so that at full extension there is a gap between the spring and the preload cap. When I upped the preload this went away.

Scott Crabill at Go-Ride.com has an article on 888 tuning on his site that is worth reading. Check it out here: http://www.go-ride.com/tips.html

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
snowskilz said:
yo fellas, my friend has this same rattling noise and we are going to be checking it out tonight. are these clips right under the top caps? do i have to remove the caps to do this?my friend says he looked there but did not see them, (he isn't very mechanically savy i might add) but i have yet to inspect it. just curious on their location before i decide to go digging in.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.