Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Freezer
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have suggestions for making disc brakes quiet? I have some Formula R1 brakes that squeal on brake application. My LBS sanded the pads, but they still make a bunch of annoying noise. I tried lightly sanding the rotors, but no help either. The brakes work great but the noise is a drag. :madman: Thanks!

· I'm just messing with you
5,966 Posts
You'll have better luck with finding an answer in the brakes forum.

I agree the only thing worse than noisy brakes are brakes that don't work worth a dang. I had some that made so much noise when I'd grab a handful that my first reaction was to turn loose of the lever to shut them up. Yeah that worked out great.

· PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
I can only speak from my own experience, I had a pair of hayes brakes years back that made a ton of noise when applied, I sanded the pads ( would quiet down for a couple of rides) and ended up trying new rotors . Then I found that it was WHERE I was riding..... stay with me.... Riding in the rouge valley there is a fine clay dust and everywhere else I rode was a sandy soil, the clay dust would get packed into the surface of the pads and the squeeling would start, I tryied a couple of differing pad compounds ( EBC sintered ATE my rotors) and found one (organic, non-metalic) that ran quiet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.