Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I brake there is a extreamly loud squeeling noise. Is this time for new brake pads? Or do I have to adjust the brakes? Also when I'm braking sharply the forks shudder/shake (very scary).... Is this something I can fix or is it time for a new bike?

Its a dept store bike (Kent) which I bought in 2000 but only started riding it about a month ago... Should I fix? Should I upgrade? Or should I just buy a new bike?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Do you have V-brakes? If so, try scrubbing the surface of the brake pad with a bit of sandpaper to get the glaze off and clean the rim with steel wool. My brakes were squeeling and that stopped it.

As for the fork shaking, I dont know what could cause that but then again it's an old (bad) dept. store bike (even worse). It only shakes when you're braking hard?

I'll save everyone the energy to type and go ahead and say it: do you have any money saved up that you can use to buy a 'real' mountain bike? An entry level bike would be around 300 or 400.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.

Its actually the old cantilever (the one that pulls up...) type. And I will try and clean the wheels and take the shine off the break pads and see if that works. Today I spent my Sunday taking the forks off and putting them back on... I proberly didnt put it together properly in the first place but seems to be ok now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.