Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Im assuming your not talking about drag. Paint the back of the pads with disc quiet. Then blast the calipers with brake cleaner making sure to catch the over spray with a rag. Wipe the rotors with brake cleaner too. Burn them in and enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I hate the sound of these brakes....ugly (not squeaking). My avid mechanicals where much better. You can't sneak up on anyone under braking conditions with these things nor with the XO shifters clunk, clunk. I may try my old mechanical rotor and see if it helps but something has got to change. Yes, braking is good but not super smooth...I think it may be rotor design? I'll post agiain if I find a solution.

·
Never Forget 9-11
434 Posts

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
My buddies and I refer to it as the Avid mating call. I've experienced it on both my hydraulic and mechanical brakes.

I just picked up a set of 2012 XT brakes and can't wait to try them out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i just always assumed there were no such thing as quiet brakes. just got some xo's myself and they are way better than my old juicy three's. only bark at times, such as heavy use or dirty moist conditions. a good scuff on the pads with some light grit sandpaper never hurts.

G

·
The only solution is to throw those things away and buy any Shimano set. I battled this issue with Elixir CR's that came with my Stumpt Expert and Avid upgraded me to X0's only to havr the same issue. Now I am on XTR's and have no problems. I have last generation XT's on my big bike for almost 3 years now and have never had any issues.

Shimanos set up super easy and I have never had any problems...

G

·
By the way, X0's already come with organic pads so don't waste your money there.

I have been told by a few shops that trying different brand pads sometimes helps and most of them push the Swiss Stop pads as the solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.