Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've decided to ask the experts with my problem.

I've had some interesting noises coming from my rear wheel. I have a Mavic Cosmic Elite wheelset and have been riding about 120 miles per week lately.

I made a mistake a couple months ago when I installed the new cassette. I forgot to put the mavic/shimano 9/10 speed cassette spacer in, so was getting bad rattling over rough terrain. Found the error after a week and installed the spacer. I wonder if this is the origin of my problem.

The noise is definitely coming from my rear drive train. The best word for the noise I can think of is a plinky sound. Plink plink plink, wait...plink plink plink. Like a rythmic, chooga chooga chooga train sound almost. Happens ONLY when pedaling, not when freewheeling, and gets worse under more load but I never have skipping or shifting problems.

I've narrowed it down and I know for sure it is NOT derailleur, chain, cassette, jockey wheels, or spokes.

I've got my wifes bike and have used it's rear wheel and cassette to narrow the problem down to my rear wheel (not including cassette).

I know there's normally a bit of play with these mavic freehub bodies, and I've got that, just a tiny lil bit.

However, to me it looks like some damage was done do the hub internals and/or freehub body bushing. What do you guys think?

I swapped out absolutely everything. Tried it all. And when I take my cassette over to my wifes Bontrager Race Lite wheel with a standard shimano 9/10 spd freehub body, there's no noise whatsoever even under full load.

It just seems odd to me that this wierd plinky noise is coming from the freehub body or the hub itself...

And it also isn't my wheel, it is perfectly centered and perfectly tensioned. No noise from spokes.

Hopefully it isn't my hub, but I rather think it is just from the way it looks. Another hub swap = :madman:

Thanks guys.

20140406_111822.jpg 20140406_111912.jpg 20140406_112040.jpg 20140406_112910.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update,

I just completely serviced the rear hub. Made sure it was in order then properly lubed and torqued everything down. I must say, I don't think this is my problem. But now I am completely lost.

I also forgot to add that this happens in ALL GEARS, front and back. IMO the problem is pointing to rear cassette or derailleur but I checked those so many times.

What makes this hard to troubleshoot is that it only happens when I'm riding the bike and applying pressure, and not while on the service stand.

In addition: A few weeks ago I installed new jockey wheels, at about the same time this sound started popping up. I thought that may be the problem so I re-installed the original ones but that didn't change a thing. The clearances are a bit tight back there so I installed larger spacers that came with the BBB jockey wheels and that changed nothing as well.

20140406_155806.jpg

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
IMO the problem is pointing to rear cassette or derailleur but I checked those so many times.

In addition: A few weeks ago I installed new jockey wheels, at about the same time this sound started popping up. I thought that may be the problem so I re-installed the original ones but that didn't change a thing.
You eliminated any of these as potential problems by swapping wheels (good idea btw). I don't know what the problem is but if using another wheel makes it go away then it no doubt has to do with your wheel. Sounds like a freehub issue (guess).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah. My latest guess is that it is the freehub bushing. Perhaps that is a bit out of shape and now my cassette wobbles a few degrees causing this noise. However I have no problems with freewheeling.

I'm getting a replacement bushing and an oversized replacement as well. I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to swap and if it is just easier to get a whole new freehub body.

edit: Just bought the Hubdoctor Pro kit. Hopefully this solves my problem. And I found a bunch of great information about it and the original bushing here!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Results:

The Hubdoctor Pro kit helped... but didn't remedy the problem entirely. Why it helped? Because it eliminated some of the play my cassette had.

What fixed the problem? Getting a new (metal) shimano 9 speed spacer for my mavic freehub. The old one was some kind of hard plastic. Therefore when the cassette was tightened down, the spacer would give a little to this direction or that. This resulted in a wobble of the cassette, of which the old freehub bushing made worse. That's where my noise was coming from.

The Hubdoctor Pro kit instructions said the old bushing would take some work to remove... mine just took one small wack and it broke off into pieces and flew out.

All in all I'm really happy now as my system is running real solid. As I am sure it will for quite some time. No need to service things for a while.

Grüsse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts