Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
29er demo this Sunday Jan 14th 2007 at Waterdog Park. After party at Passion Trail Bikes.

There are more available models here than at Interbike this year to ride. Beat that!
This is a great way for anyone thinking about the 29" wheel, to hopefully throw a leg over 1 or more and get a test ride back to back, same trail, same day, etc. Some bikes are small enough for folks ~5'3".

This is lowkey, unsponsored, no insurance, self responsible event. If you don't have helicopter coverage, make sure you choose the Victor option when they have you on the gurney (he'll have to tell you, in his super Russian accent).

We have a slew of the very latest 29er bikes, and some that don't exist on the market yet. We have some owners that are trusting, and good hearted enough, to loan out their personal bikes. We'll be there at 9:30am, so early birds can get some fat worms and get on the trail.

Why Waterdog?
Small laps, some jumps, tight stuff. Close to Passion Trail Bikes (also trails mostly built by PTB as well). Most importantly, Baycat doesn't have to drive too far.

Here's the dealio:
1. You show up, If I recognize you, we set up on the bike that you pick and off you go. If I don't know you, I'll need your CDL and CC(please have enough room on the CC for me to charge a full bike to ;) ).
2. We'll make seat adjustments for you. We may or may not make bar/stem adjustments on the owner bikes (their call). We'll also make shock and fork air pressure adjustments.
3. If you ride an owner bike, I'm holding you, the rider, responsible(I probably don't need to say that, but there it is).

What to bring:
Pedals (we'll have eggbeater/candy pedals)
Your favorite saddle
Mojo
All other biking stuff you normally ride with (no rides without helmets)
Tubes 26" will work fine
Bring a camping chair

Helpful measurements to know about your current ride (in CM):
Seat height from center of BB to top of seat
Cockpit length (back of saddle to center of handlebar)
Handlebar height (top of bar to ground)

Hardtails:
Confirmed:
1 18" On-One Inbred 29er (Reba 1x9)
1 21" On-One Inbred 29er (Reba)
1 Med Raleigh XXIX Rigid SS
1 Sm Niner Sir9 1x9 Reba
1 Sm Niner Sir9 SS Rigid
1 Sm Niner One9 SS Rigid
1 XL Niner Sir9 SS Rigid
1 XL Voodoo that you do Dambala Rigid SS
1 Med Mary SS Rigid <-------(May need help with transport from Oakland/Rockridge to Waterdog)

Full Suspension bikes:
Confirmed:
1 Med-L Ti Titus Rx29
1 Med RIP9
1 Med Astrix Monk
1 Med Ellsworth Epiphany
1 Med-L Van Dessel
1 Med Intense spider29
1 Med Ventana El Rey
1 Med Lenz Sport Leviathan
1 Lg Gary Fisher Sugar 293
1 Med(17.5") Custom Curtlo with Ventana rear sus!!!

Other:
1 ~17" Chumba XCR (stiff as it gets for a frame, climbs so dang well with that $$$ shock)

Unconfirmed:
1 Soulcraft custom ~18" (3x9) Reba
1 GF Rig
1 GF Supercalibre or other?
1 Any Salsa products?

Folks, what did I forget?
(I'm still working out the 29er tire demo, nothing fancy other than I'll have a pile of tires that you'll have access to and mount/dismount yerself)

Still need help with:
Loaner bikes.
Bike hauling from Saratoga to Waterdog and back. Bike cable locks.
A fold up Table ~3x6'
FC---Do you have the make shift bar/bike stand that MTBR uses at SeaOtter?
Beverage Sponsor
Swag!!!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Directions and maps

Waterdog and parking:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr

2692 Carlmont Dr, Belmont, CA 94002

At the Carlmont Drive dead end is a parking lot and a great entrance to the park. We'll party hardy there.

Quick food break: (You're on your own. I'm getting food to go and eat/lounge at PTB)
http://www.guadgrill.com/guadLocation.htm

Passion Trail Bikes:
I think there was mention of a keg and esspresso maker. We can kick in some $$ for beer and beans. This is a great shop, and a great place to lounge.
http://passiontrailbikes.com/

Directions to shop are within the link. Take a look. Don't use The Force trying to get yourself there, it will suck and the Deathstar won't blow up and there won't be any ceremony with Princess Cinnamon Buns.

Someone can help with better formatting of the directions and links.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
rensho said:
There's a back entrance to the place at the bottom of 'Elevator trail'. It's got a decent sized parking lot. That should be the meeting spot.

Anyone have a map and directions of that?

fc

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
francois said:
There's a back entrance to the place at the bottom of 'Elevator trail'. It's got a decent sized parking lot. That should be the meeting spot.

Anyone have a map and directions of that?

fc
Once i get that specific location, i'll put it into the directions. thx.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
d'oh, I thought this was gonna happen monday.. Sunday morning I am planning to pick up and install a hitch (a wee bit late), then an afternoon ride. Maybe I will join the festivities late.

btw, that voodoo has a rigid surly fork on it (my personal mechanic wouldn't shove a pike upper into the reba lowers :rolleyes: )

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grrrah said:
d'oh, I thought this was gonna happen monday.. Sunday morning I am planning to pick up and install a hitch (a wee bit late), then an afternoon ride. Maybe I will join the festivities late.

btw, that voodoo has a rigid surly fork on it (my personal mechanic wouldn't shove a pike upper into the reba lowers :rolleyes: )
Bring the Subby by, I install hitches.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bigboulder said:
come down there and show you boys how to ride those things....we'll see if all my parts are working by then...
I've seen you 'fly' on the 29ers. ;)

Love to have you BB. Did we say there was beer on tap?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
We'll add this Chumba bike to the test fleet since I have to return it on Monday.

Everyone who test rides should commit to helping clean the bikes either at the lot or at Passion Trail Bikes. They have to come back sparkling! Otherwise, Rensho will have to scrub a heckalotof bikes.

francois

fc

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Just some bruises...

from my lil crash but my left knee has been acting up for some reason....need to let it calm down...although doing some tame laps at WDog might be doable. I'll make the call at the last minute.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
francois said:
We'll add this Chumba bike to the test fleet since I have to return it on Monday.

Everyone who test rides should commit to helping clean the bikes either at the lot or at Passion Trail Bikes. They have to come back sparkling! Otherwise, Rensho will have to scrub a heckalotof bikes.

francois

fc
What the heck is that thing? Looks like a 32# XC bike with 22" wheels. :cool:
We'll bring it along. Actually a good bike for the park. This is also a nice opportunity to try bikes like SS, and rigid.

Oh, and is there any budget left? I was hoping to hire the Hooters bikini carwash gals to wash the bikes. :D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sirkrameroy said:
Tom,

I can help ferry bikes back and forth if you need it. My hitch will carry up to four at a time.

I'd also be willing to add my Gary Fisher 293 (size large) and Raleigh XXIX (size medium) to the test fleet.

Alex
Alex, thanks! You're coming through with the bikes that we didn't expect to find in the demo. So cool.
Where have you been man, we haven't ridden with you for a while.

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
rensho said:
Alex, thanks! You're coming through with the bikes that we didn't expect to find in the demo. So cool.
Where have you been man, we haven't ridden with you for a while.
Got married at the end of November and went on a brief honeymoon over the holidays.:thumbsup:

Hasn't kept me totally off the bike, but it did provide for a bit of a distraction from the riding schedule.

Should I just meet you guys at Waterdog, or should I swing by your or Francis' place to pick up a couple more bikes and then head over? Just let me know.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Uhhhhh, we're at 17 bikes...

Sir Kramer, congrats man! Can't wait to hear about it.
Drop by FC's at 8:30ish and we'll load 2 more if you don't mind.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.