Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the reviews and did my homework. I'm looking to buy set of nobby nics for my new Ellsworth Moment build. Who has the best prices for these tires. Thanks for the help

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
You may want to try the "Where are the best deals" forum. If anyone can help you those guys can

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
Tagman said:
I've read the reviews and did my homework. I'm looking to buy set of nobby nics for my new Ellsworth Moment build. Who has the best prices for these tires. Thanks for the help
About $50 at Alfred E Bike and Airbomb... :eekster:

I haven't used the Nobby Nick, but The Racing Ralph is an excellent tire and they share the same casing. I would like to try these too, but they are way too expensive :rolleyes:

Good luck
:cool:

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Nobby Nics at Universal Cycles

Bought my Nobby Nics at Universal.
They have their 10% off over $100 and 15% off over $300 coupons listed on there website.

At 10% off their about $50.

So far I really like the Nobby Nics, I'm running the 2.25's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. PUBCRAWL I read that the nobby nics published size is a little underated. The 2.25 were more like 2.3 has this been your experience also?

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Tagman said:
Thanks for the replies. PUBCRAWL I read that the nobby nics published size is a little underated. The 2.25 were more like 2.3 has this been your experience also?
Hey Tagman,

Well, not 100% sure on that one. Comparing them to the tires I had mounted on my rims prior to the Nics the are actually smaller in width. I was running a set of IRC Mibros which seem to have a much wider profile (at 2.25) than the Schwalbes do but maybe the IRC run even bigger than the Nobby Nics...?

I liked the IRC Mibros but found them a little "loose" in the corner on anything that wasn't dry hardpack and they didn't have a lot of traction in the mud, although they did shed mud fairly well.

So far the Nobby Nics have proven to be a great all around tire. I recently did a local Winter Race and they even worked very good on the ice, snow and mud on the Race Course.

:yesnod:

·
Registered
90 Posts
how we size our tires.

The NN is now available with the snake skin side wall in a 2.25, to clear up the tire size confusion this is how it is measured by Schwalbe. Schwalbe uses the Dean Standard of measurment for all of it's tire sizing, what does this mean? Simply that any 26" (559) wheel diameter is mounted to a rim that is 30mm wide and inflated to 3 times it's recommended pressure. Yes I said 30mm wide rim I don't have the answer to that but it is what the standard calls for. What this tells us is what the maximum width the tire will be and never larger. About 99% of the time I suggest you subtract 2mm off the published width and you will have the actual tire size. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING TO INFLATE YOUR TIRE TO 3 TIMES THE PRESSURE :nono: THIS IS PERFORMEND IN A CONTROLLED LAB BY PROFESSIONALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope that this will clear up some of the confusion about our tire sizes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tagman said:
If you are looking to get the 2.25's and you ride in rocky terrain, I would recommend getting them with Snakeskin. I did my homework on these as well, and the only complaint I have heard is regarding the somewhat weak sidewalls. For 2007 the NN's are now available with the Snakeskin sidewall at just a 40 gram weight penalty per tire. I searched just about everywhere in the U.S., but couldn't find the Snakeskin version yet. I just ordered a pair of them from Bike24 in Germany. I paid $115 total for two including shipping.

http://www.bike24.net/p23514.html

However, after I had already completed my transaction, I also found them at GypzyBikz in Germany for $100 for a pair including shipping.

http://www.starbike.com/php/product...r=Schwalbe&Kategorie=&filter_submit=GO&page=2

Can't wait to get mine! Good-luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tagman said:
One more thing to mention... if you do purchase from Europe, check to see if your credit card charges a foreign transaction fee. If they do, you might get hit with an extra $5 - $20 on your bill.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
North American Schwalbe

If you're in North America you can order directly (although at a higher price) from Schwalbe North America.
They are actually located in British Columbia , Canada.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/

I personally don't ride in very rocky areas so the sidewall hasn't been an issue... yet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I ran Nobby Nics 2.25’s, for about 11months until this happened!

I going to try some other tyres, but would defo buy them again, most likely get the snakeskin sidewall.

Attachments

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Try with Chad Devalls from redbarnbicycles.com

I got a nice price on them... I'm running NN 2.25" at the rear and 2.4" at the front. The 2.25" is 52-53mm on a 21mm inner width rim (Alex FD28's).

Check another thread I posted comparing them to Panaracer Rampages 2.35".

Cool tyre... Really good. As others have mentioned, the sidewalls are thin, not exactly weak but something to consider on rocky terrain.

toons101... 11 months? That's a nice figure considering the wear that can be observed on the pic you posted. Nice. I guess I can afford to replace them each 10mo.;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Great tire

But not cheap. I've been running the 2.4's on both ends for about a year. They are light for there size (600g) they aren't true to there claimed size (but not many are) but they are 2.25, they grip well in the widest veriety of condition of any similar size/weight tire I've tired.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts