Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Got rocks?
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the knobby Nic really that bad on the back? I am running a Hans Dampf on the front and want to try it on the back but I hear the NN rolls better on the back but doesn’t grip as well and can be unpredictable. Or does the Hans Dampf roll good as a rear?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't speak of a HD rear tire, but as a front tire, a hans dampf is better than a nobby nic in my experience. I can also point out that HD front, NN rear is a combination Ibis cycles offers (among others).

·
Got rocks?
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't speak of a HD rear tire, but as a front tire, a hans dampf is better than a nobby nic in my experience. I can also point out that HD front, NN rear is a combination Ibis cycles offers (among others).
That's what has made me think more about it. I spend a lot of time in very sharp rocky terrain and heard the NN isn't great for that too.
Plus I found the apex version on sale for 62 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Still on the Nobby Nic front as the bike (trail hardtail) came but a tire issue caused me to use a spare I got at a good price and was looking forward to trying a slightly tighter nob for rear.
Rocket Ron on the back now and def a smoother roll and better bite for ride terrain here. I see all the wasted space in the NN between nobs and think it's more prone to easy puncture although I'm a bit careful on path and lines so maybe that is not the case or I simply mitigate the weakness by being careful. (?)

·
Registered
105 Posts
NN works great in the rear with enough air pressure

i ride on rocky southern California trails and often use NN on the back of a lightweight trail bike. I ride them 1 or 2 PSI more than Hans Dampf to help avoid pinch flats and they hold up pretty well and roll much better.

·
Got rocks?
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i ride on rocky southern California trails and often use NN on the back of a lightweight trail bike. I ride them 1 or 2 PSI more than Hans Dampf to help avoid pinch flats and they hold up pretty well and roll much better.
So I went ahead and put a HD on the back since I heard the NN aren't quiet as good in the rocks. So far I'm pretty pleased with it. May not roll as good as the Nevegal2 but still rolls good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MTB guide
47 Posts
I still haven't found a more versatile and fast all mountain/enduro tire than HD 2.35" ADDIX SpeedGrip (and also the old PaceStar compound). Had them front and rear for three years on my Nomad. Got most of my best Strava KOM's with that combo. Now I'm on Kenda Hellkat 2.4" Pro ATC front and Kenda Nevegal 2 2.4" Pro ATC rear.

Too bad Schwalbe has stopped making the Hans Dampf in 2.35" Speedgrip compound, it's now only available in Soft compound which is too soft for my taste of speed... :-/

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I still haven't found a more versatile and fast all mountain/enduro tire than HD 2.35" ADDIX SpeedGrip (and also the old PaceStar compound). Had them front and rear for three years on my Nomad. Got most of my best Strava KOM's with that combo. Now I'm on Kenda Hellkat 2.4" Pro ATC front and Kenda Nevegal 2 2.4" Pro ATC rear.

Too bad Schwalbe has stopped making the Hans Dampf in 2.35" Speedgrip compound, it's now only available in Soft compound which is too soft for my taste of speed... :-/
A little tip, the center of the HD2 SOFT is actually still SpeedGrip. It's my favorite tire as well but I'm always experimenting and am enjoying a Rock Razor at the moment.

As far as the NN, I tried out the 2.6 Apex version on the front about 18 months ago and it was so slippery as to be challenging to ride at times. It's strictly a rear trail tire or maybe a XC front tire imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.