8,600 Posts
Picard?

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,544 Posts
What the heck is a “fork stem tube?”
Steerer tube?

How TF does mud get in there?? From underneath? If so, don't worry about it, or just pry it out with a dull knife.

Picard?

·
well mannered lout
3,032 Posts
Lay off guys...he's just hours old here.

Yes, Iceman, it's fine to leave the dirt in the "steerer tube" .

·
Registered
15,878 Posts
If you mean steerer tube then after you clean it and dry it out you could plug the opening with something so mud doesn't get in there ever again, Picard.

·
Cycologist
7,422 Posts
If you're getting dirt inside your stem, that is impressive.

Don't over-wash your bike. You don't want to force water into bearings.

And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Dealer told me to leave the mud in there to go hard and never wash it out ?
If you deal with wet conditions a lot it's worth getting a front fender. Not only will it keep dirt out of your fork stem tube, but it will keep the fork seals cleaner and stop mud/dirt from getting flung into your face/eyes.

Mud Hugger and RRP both make nice larger sized fenders and there are a million different smaller fenders that any bike shop will stock.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
656 Posts
i have the same fork. i never have cleaned the steerer tube on any of my bikes

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
656 Posts
but if you really want to, something like this with warm soapy wath would work. then clean out the soapy water with regular water

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Lads lasses
Let me come clean excuse the pun...

I am in a battle after spending £4,000.00 on a bike, I went out on it in wet weather when I got back I washed it as usual.
The day after I could hear water inside the frame top bar.

So I took it back to the dealer who straight away blamed me, saying I filled the frame and all headstock bearings with sand and water,
Saying I stuck the hose pipe up the steer tube and it went into the frame and bearings via this point...I disagree
Water cannot get into the frame from the Steer tube...
I know how the water got into the frame but as a legal battle is going on don't want to reveal to them yet...!
I have returned the bike on the grounds of not for purpose, it by name a mountain bike and if any part should no be washed with water the manufacturer should advise customers of this fact.
The manufacturer does have an educational video on their website of a man cleaning his E-Bike with a hose pipe...
I also have an email from RockShox to say..."
Thanks for reaching out on this one,
This is the tube that the stem will tighten onto. Water is fine for this I would just make sure that you try to keep the bike in a dry or warm space after riding to get any water left in there to dry.
Kind Regards,
SRAM Service Team

I have never had this problem with any other bike in my life...

I have been mountain biking for years, had many many bikes.
I always come back from a ride, washed my bike off with a hose pipe,
Then washed it with soap, then rinsed off and dried...Then lubricated the parts that need it...

Thoughts

·
well mannered lout
3,032 Posts
I am in a battle after spending £4,000.00 on a bike

Thoughts
Thoughts...I wish I had 4000GBP($5500?) in my bike budget.

If you've returned it I assume you have refund in hand? Problem solved.

·
Cycologist
7,422 Posts
I know how the water got into the frame but as a legal battle is going on don't want to reveal to them yet...!
I think this is the key thing right here. You rode it into a lake?

If you really have a legal thing going on, you'd probably be best to not answer that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts