Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess most people switch from V-brakes to Disc, but I'm doing the opposite. I bought the bike with Disc brakes, but they are heavy and I have no use for them as I don't ride downhill or in mud.
Looking for V-brakes recommendations.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I just moved in the opposite direction that you're going. I had the cheap tecktro V's that came on my Rockhopper. Even after one year they would send me over the bars if I wanted them to lock up - on the road too. I'm not sure that you'll get much more out of an expensive set other than saving weight. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Avid SD7's with Kool Stop MTB pads have been working beautifully for me. SD7's and a lot better than the SD5's by a long shot. I have 3 sets on three bikes and my only problem has been the rim wrangler pads which I am phasing out as they wear out.

You couldn't pay me to go back to disc brakes again.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Anything with Koolstop pads. Also make sure your cables are good.

I think the Shimano parallel linkages are an expensive solution to a non-existing problem.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
perttime said:
Anything with Koolstop pads.
I was going to say, that I think pad compound (as well as the finish on the braking surface of the rim) plays a very large roll in dictating the performance of V brakes.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My SD-7 with speed-dial levers always treated me well; as long as the ride was dry.

Much better then the LX V-brakes I had on my other bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.