Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2 reviews on the site about it

Is it a good bike? I love the feel but this is my first FS so I don't know much!

Is it the best bike for my money? It costs $1,299 at my local bike shop

I'm 5' 11 155lbs, ride trail AND ride roads ( only to get to the trails )

I'm in New England, lots of rocky stuff

Will I be happy? It is my first over 1k purchase in awhile!

G

·
I'm thinking about the same bike. I'd like a Stumpy, but I don't know if it's worth the money because while I ride a lot over rocky and demanding terrain, I'm a bit older and I think my frame snapping days may be over. If I get an FSRxc, I'll get the discs. I might wait for a month or two, prices are at a premium right now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Comp vs. Pro

In Colo Spgs, the price on the Comp is $1,249. The Pro is $1,500.

I am thinking of purchasing one of these two bikes. For $250 more, the Pro has:
- Same fork but with lock out.
- Fox Triad Shock with lock out, open or pedal damping vs the Fox Float (I like to climb some hills for an hour grind so lock out might help me).
- Avid 7 Disks (with inside pad adjustment) vs the Avid 5.
- Rear Derailler is an XT vs LX.
- Better bottom bracket.
- There are other minor diff (seat, riser, handlebar, etc).
- I like the Black vs the Silver.

Road both, like both - Not sure how much I would use the lockout's on both the fork and the shock.

Just not sure the extra $250 is worth it (it's a 20% price increase from the Comp to the Pro).

G

·
If you ride on the road at all or on roads that aren't too bumpy, you'll use the rear lockout a bunch. I'd prefer an XT rear derailleur, but I've bought a bike with an LX and it lasted a long time. When it died, I replaced it with an XT.
When you get to the $1500 range, that's when you have to decide if it's worth going for the Stumpjumper with it's better frame and components, then add parts when you can afford it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ispymtnbikes said:
In Colo Spgs, the price on the Comp is $1,249. The Pro is $1,500.

I am thinking of purchasing one of these two bikes. For $250 more, the Pro has:
- Same fork but with lock out.
- Fox Triad Shock with lock out, open or pedal damping vs the Fox Float (I like to climb some hills for an hour grind so lock out might help me).
- Avid 7 Disks (with inside pad adjustment) vs the Avid 5.
- Rear Derailler is an XT vs LX.
- Better bottom bracket.
- There are other minor diff (seat, riser, handlebar, etc).
- I like the Black vs the Silver.

Road both, like both - Not sure how much I would use the lockout's on both the fork and the shock.

Just not sure the extra $250 is worth it (it's a 20% price increase from the Comp to the Pro).
wow! nice deal, where is this shop? i would buy the 2005 pro for $1500

·
Registered
91 Posts
Comp vs Pro

It was at Bicycle Village in Colo Spgs. A month ago, it was $1,300. I rode both bikes about a month ago. This time, they didn't have the Pro but Bicycle Village has 7+ stores on the front range where they can get them for you.

G

·
I think I was one of the 2 reviews you read, so I won't reiterate how much I like the bike. I'm an intermediate rider, and wanted a bike that would take me several years to out-perform. The XC Comp is proving to be the 100% right choice. I paid $1400. I didn't find a better all around package in that price range (not in the four local shops I checked at least).

Since my review I've had it out a few more times and it's really proving to be the perfect bike for my needs which are; intermediate-expert trail riding, moderate jumps/drops, long climbs, fast downhill singletrack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rob Munro--I'm on the fence on buying a XC Pro. How much does your bike weigh? It's either the "top-of-the-line FSR XC" or the "bottom-of-the-barrel" Stumpy FSR. The price range is so close, I can't decide. The one thing that concerns me with the XC is where the rear shock mounts to the top tube. The brackets looks weak in pictures. Maybe it looks stronger person?

G

·
zettobike said:
Rob Munro--I'm on the fence on buying a XC Pro. How much does your bike weigh? It's either the "top-of-the-line FSR XC" or the "bottom-of-the-barrel" Stumpy FSR. The price range is so close, I can't decide. The one thing that concerns me with the XC is where the rear shock mounts to the top tube. The brackets looks weak in pictures. Maybe it looks stronger person?
I picked the XC Comp because I didn't see a lot of upgrades on the Pro that I felt would make a big difference to me at my skill level. It will take me a long time to outride the Comp. My original budget was $1000. I found the $1400 XC Comp Disc was well worth the jump in price, but but another $200 jump to the Pro just wasn't in the cards. Also, I just like the silver. Completely insignificant to performance, but what the heck I just thought it was a great looking bike. If your budget dictates a decision between FSR XC Pro vs. SJ100 I'd really have to defer to the pros. I'm not familiar with the details of the SJ line as it was out of my price range right off the bat.

I'm not sure about the actual weight on the Comp. I will check that out and let you know. As for the rear shock mount, it looks pretty stout. Time will tell if I can break it, but I don't see any reason for concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lee - I'm in the same market and here's what I've concluded from the two choices: the only major difference is the Fox Float R or Fox Triad, Avid BB-5 or BB-7, Deore/LX or Deore/XT (Comp and Pro respectively). The mech disc brakes kind of cancel each other out to me. They're pretty similiar. The derailleurs aren't to far apart in performance and easily upgradable. I heard the Triad is sweet, but if you can live with the Float R, I'd put the difference in price, $300, towards some new forks on the Comp. That should give you a pretty decent setup until it's time for other upgrades. I'm assuming you're an intermediate rider. My 2 cents. ;) Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.