Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would you be as a competitive racer without all the Hr monitors, power meters etc? I don't have any of that stuff and was just wondering where you all would be without'em. Is it the difference in winning or have you just become reliant on the technology. This is a serious question - not a jab at the training regiment. I realize there is a science to fine tuning your fitness; but, without it would you really be that much worse off. Is it a serious disadvantage to be without - be honest

·
Registered
417 Posts
The technology helps focus your efforts but in no way determines the winner. I have a friend who has won the Expert 35-39 series at Winter Park two years in a row, he rides on feel no HR, no computer, no power etc. I know a lot of guys who spend time chasing him use some or all of those tools, but he is winning and we aren't.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
You would be within 1 percent either way of where you are using all the technology in the world.

I know people who race at the very top level who do 90% of their trainning by P.E.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I think it depends on your personality.

I'm an engineer by trade, so I get excited over numbers, percentages, quantifying improvements, performance, etc. etc. etc. It was actually a fellow engineer who encouraged me to get a PT, just because he knew I would enjoy analyzing the data.

Chasing numbers and producing data motivates me. For other people, they are totally turned off.

I think as a racer, without the PT, I would probably be the same, but I wouldn't be having as much fun!!!

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
HandyMan said:
I'm the same as Poncharelli. The gadgets don't make me faster, but they make training more interesting and encourage me to train more, which in turn makes me faster.
Well put, this is exactly why I use a HR monitor. All it really does is give me a purpose for my workouts, which in turn requires a goal to be set and achieved. They can also tell you when you have more effort to give. I do agree though that all the gadgets in the world won't necessarily make you better. The thing that made me faster was Friels's period training. The HR monitor can help with that.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Poncharelli said:
I think it depends on your personality.

I'm an engineer by trade, so I get excited over numbers, percentages, quantifying improvements, performance, etc. etc. etc. It was actually a fellow engineer who encouraged me to get a PT, just because he knew I would enjoy analyzing the data.

Chasing numbers and producing data motivates me. For other people, they are totally turned off.

I think as a racer, without the PT, I would probably be the same, but I wouldn't be having as much fun!!!
For me too, I realize that the numbers themselves do not make me faster, it just gives me something to focus on...

I do regularly time one specific hill climb on the Saturday "group race ride"... I like to compare how I do vs how I feel. Interesting though, iven when you feel like crude doesn't mean you are slow and vice versa, so in that sense I do like to watch numbers a bit...

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Ditto

HandyMan said:
I'm the same as Poncharelli. The gadgets don't make me faster, but they make training more interesting and encourage me to train more, which in turn makes me faster.
I I run off of PE on the MTB, but I like the numbers on the roadie. On the road, I work on very specific training and the numbers are needed/desired to keep me in the zones and entertained. On the MTB don't find a HR being very useful, as HR lags behind quickly changing effort, and I'm not going to buy a MTB powertap anytime soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use HR, Cadence, and Perceived Effort in order to control my training a little bit. Prior to using these tools I had trouble doing the different types of rides I needed without overdoing it. It allows me to stay in control and not overtrain, but get things just right. At the same time though, I don't race with it in visible range, rather, race completely on PE and a stopwatch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.