Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I Just Ride....
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just thought I'd share with you something I found in today's (23 July 04) Salt Lake Tribune. It appeared in the Public Forum page of the Opinion section.
Basically, the writer says that Lance will not be riding on Sunday and mentions that his father will be giving a news conferrence telling "Le Socetie" how to run the Tour according to American standards.
If you have read Lance's autobiography, he has never known his father. So I suspect that the writer of the "opinion", is either trying to stir up something or something???

Here is the link to it, but I will post the article too...
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_2380485

"""Never on Sunday

NEWSFLASH - Lance Armstrong has just announced that, due to his religious convictions, he will not ride in Sunday's final stage of the Tour de France. He will instead forfeit his yellow jersey and his chance of winning the Tour for a record sixth consecutive time.
He was quoted as saying, "Not only do the French have this irreverent habit of drinking champagne, I cannot, on the Sabbath day of rest, put so much exertion on my body, which is of course the Lord's temple." When asked about disappointing his fans, his sponsors and the entire world of cycling, he simply paraphrased Sylvester Stallone: "A religious man's gotta do what a religious man's gotta do."

An unconfirmed report says that Armstrong's father is planning a news conference on Monday to instruct Tour organizers exactly how to run the Tour according to American standards.

John Herbert
Sandy"""

Brian
GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! On Sunday or any other day of the week... :D

·
I Just Ride....
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Doc F!

The SL Trib has lost a lot of credibility over the past few years.
Mr Herbert is from the city of Sandy, Utah.
Glad you got a laugh out it.
I would be interested in talking to Mr. Herbert, to see what his intentions really were.
Brian
GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE!

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
wow

One of the many things I love about Lance, is that he's an atheist. So this story is wrong on yet another level!

·
Registered
234 Posts
What?!

Although the ownership changes and battles have been a focus of attention, the Trib has hardly "lost credibility over the past few years"--that's simply something the Mormon extremeists keep screaming so that any kind of fair and balanced reporting, in fact ANY reporting other than what you read in the church-owned Deseret News, wil;l be drowned out. For your info, folks, the piece about Armstrong was SATIRE.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Hmmm....

I would easily believe it was satire if it had been printed in Velo News or any cycling related publication. But being printed in the Salt Lake Tribune I'm not as certain. Does the Salt Lake have a reputation for printing satirical bits like this? I'm assuming they are not the local equivalent of The Onion ;) .

It's still funny,
Dr.F.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
I definetly saw him crossing the finish line in slow-mo with a cross bouncing from a gold chain. Christine, you sure he's atheist? Maybe he's just trying to keep mom happy. :D

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
First Chick-fil-A, now this?!? (nm)

:rolleyes:

mtbbrian said:
I just thought I'd share with you something I found in today's (23 July 04) Salt Lake Tribune. It appeared in the Public Forum page of the Opinion section.
Basically, the writer says that Lance will not be riding on Sunday and mentions that his father will be giving a news conferrence telling "Le Socetie" how to run the Tour according to American standards.
If you have read Lance's autobiography, he has never known his father. So I suspect that the writer of the "opinion", is either trying to stir up something or something???

Here is the link to it, but I will post the article too...
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_2380485

"""Never on Sunday

NEWSFLASH - Lance Armstrong has just announced that, due to his religious convictions, he will not ride in Sunday's final stage of the Tour de France. He will instead forfeit his yellow jersey and his chance of winning the Tour for a record sixth consecutive time.
He was quoted as saying, "Not only do the French have this irreverent habit of drinking champagne, I cannot, on the Sabbath day of rest, put so much exertion on my body, which is of course the Lord's temple." When asked about disappointing his fans, his sponsors and the entire world of cycling, he simply paraphrased Sylvester Stallone: "A religious man's gotta do what a religious man's gotta do."

An unconfirmed report says that Armstrong's father is planning a news conference on Monday to instruct Tour organizers exactly how to run the Tour according to American standards.

John Herbert
Sandy"""

Brian
GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! On Sunday or any other day of the week... :D

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
donkey said:
That's a strange thing to love/admire about a person......why do you say that?
Perhaps she feels that it signifies that he is enlightened enough to think and act for himself, rather than relying on direction and judgement from a perceived higher power? Just a thought.

Kn.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
LOL! isn't the Sabbath on Saturday, anyway? Pathetic editorial oversight.

If it's true that Lance is an atheist, I am so much happier to be wearing a yellow,
made in China, Nike-sponsored wristband right now.

I give an atheist a lot of credit, personally. I am so sick of the Religious Right/Bush/Texas
Evangelical madness and had assumed that Lance (who W calls a 'friend') fell into that.

I realize this is the wrong forum for that, but Go Lance!

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Depends....

.....Jews celebrate the Sabbath on saturdays(actually friday at sundown till saturday at sundown), as do Seventh Day Adventists.

Most other Christian denominations celebrate the Sabbath on Sundays.

DH40 said:
LOL! isn't the Sabbath on Saturday, anyway? Pathetic editorial oversight.

If it's true that Lance is an atheist, I am so much happier to be wearing a yellow,
made in China, Nike-sponsored wristband right now.

I give an atheist a lot of credit, personally. I am so sick of the Religious Right/Bush/Texas
Evangelical madness and had assumed that Lance (who W calls a 'friend') fell into that.

I realize this is the wrong forum for that, but Go Lance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
the cross

That is a cross around his neck. There is a pretty good section of his second book where Lance describes the cross and his reasons for wearing it. It has to do with a woman he met while they were both battling cancer, forget her name, but I believe she died.
Lance never blatantly states that he is an aetheist (as far I remember from the book). I think he just puts like "I can't really define or explain my beliefs and faith, but I believe in science". He thinks everyone has to have something to believe in and hold on to. Something like that.
His children are being raised as Catholics.

That article was pretty funny though. I wonder how many will really believe it?

mb

·
Registered
657 Posts
Agnostic?

bungyfish said:
That is a cross around his neck. There is a pretty good section of his second book where Lance describes the cross and his reasons for wearing it. It has to do with a woman he met while they were both battling cancer, forget her name, but I believe she died.
Lance never blatantly states that he is an aetheist (as far I remember from the book). I think he just puts like "I can't really define or explain my beliefs and faith, but I believe in science". He thinks everyone has to have something to believe in and hold on to. Something like that.
His children are being raised as Catholics.

That article was pretty funny though. I wonder how many will really believe it?

mb
An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.