Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Apparently you’ve never heard of LiDAR.

I mean, if I can find 100+ year old mining trails at 10,000ft in CO, the “authorities” can find your newly dug trails in other areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the record, I don't use Strava or any other tracking app. If I left my house at 3pm, return at 4:13 and went 18 miles that's all I need to know.

I've only been seriously into biking for about a year. Afaik I've never been on a rogue trail, certainly have never built any, and there are still sanctioned trails in my area I haven't even explored yet. I have no horse in this race, my original comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but was based on my observation of comments I've seen and heard.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Unbelievable the number of riders here who seem to think rogue riding is somehow ok.
There are literally thousands of riders within a 100mi radius of my location who are riding "rogue" trails on a weekly basis. Little (if any) is on private land.

I agree with the private land sentiments but you're painting with some pretty broad strokes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are literally thousands of riders within a 100mi radius of my location who are riding "rogue" trails on a weekly basis. Little (if any) is on private land.

I agree with the private land sentiments but you're painting with some pretty broad strokes.
For sure. I keep well away from privately owned land, state, or government owned, it's fair game

·
Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
344 Posts
Dude, what if everyone who thought about this piece of land has thought "meh, it probably would've happened by now".
I've thought about that, but I guess my induced apathy has kept me from investigating it. You're right though... the worst is nothing happens.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I remember 30 years ago, maybe closer to 25.

I went to our property. My dad and the family owns 10 acres, plus a few other individual lots. We'd go there for a weekend type thing. Great place in the Allegany mountains in a small town.

I went there one year around Novemberish. I always took my dirt bike. I went through our driveway (family place, not my place (my dads) and proceeded beyond the cabin down the steep hill approaching our orchard.
I heard a noise....

Somebody in a deer blind in a tree yelling at me to get off the property, it's private.
I'm not sure he was 100% convinced when I said "I know.... it's my property".

There was barely internet....definitely not a phone app and if not for memory that day would never have happened.
Yet it did, with or without Strava. I've been on private property without knowing it, similar to the posts a few above me. Once realizing it was private I definitely wouldn't trespass.

People who dislike Strava for the simple fact that "others can see the private trails" is nothing but a hipocritical comment and selfishness.

"I love these private trails but now that Strava shows it on the heat map people are coming by tearing up the land". It was somehow okay a day before Strava folks found it but now that more than that person know of it it somehow became back.

We humans are only going to get worse. Most of the people hate other people and in 10 years everybody will be battling somebody with a different opinion. Our anger expressed on the internet slowly bleeds into our real life and we become 'that person' without knowing it -having a hard time separating how we treat others on the internet vs how we treat people in person.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
People who dislike Strava for the simple fact that "others can see the private trails" is nothing but a hipocritical comment and selfishness.
Perhaps you should research the destructive power of geotagging.

But hey man, make sure to share all those sensitive trails for internet kudos, facebook likes, insta followers etc... cause feeding that need for superficial digital love isn't selfish... is it?

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
853 Posts
I have some kom's and got no electric assist so I guess them things ain't so fast after all.
I know men or ladies that have KOM's and they are legit times (No electric assist either) but I was just generalizing.........;) As for me I am close on a few but some I am soooo far off a lot that I sometimes wonder.....?

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
853 Posts
As for land issues.......that can get tricky!
I try not to ride on Private land but sometimes that gets clouded quickly!

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,366 Posts
As for land issues.......that can get tricky!
I try not to ride on Private land but sometimes that gets clouded quickly!
I respect signs and fences. I know there are trails I ride on private property, but often the property owners are aware of the trails and choose to ignore them. I suspect some property owners would prefer bikes riding through because it makes it less likely other activities will creep in.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,840 Posts
I respect signs and fences. I know there are trails I ride on private property, but often the property owners are aware of the trails and choose to ignore them. I suspect some property owners would prefer bikes riding through because it makes it less likely other activities will creep in.
As soon as CDFW started ticketing cyclists in my local area the homeless started to move in and setup small camps..... that never happened when cyclists where out there on a daily basis. The biggest problem there is the fear of wildfire if someone "camping" on that land decides to cook a meal with open flame. The main hiker who started all the complaining lives in a spot where her home literally backs up to the preserve. I am certain the last thing she wanted was the increased possibility of a fire. Nobody wants that.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts