Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed new No Saint carbon hardtail on WW board. Price is 599Euro including 19% VAT. For those outside EU, that's only about 500Euro or $700USD, half the price of a Scott Scale and much better looking, IMHO.

Highlights:
17" 992g
19" 1040g
21" 1110g
Killer paint job
IS headset (cheap 70g headsets!)
Downtube cable routing (less cable housing and can easily use road front derailleur)
Standard 31.6mm seatpost and 34.9mm clamp
No-bulge headtube will work with Look Fournales fork (are you reading this, Axis?)
5 year warranty

Unfortunately, no V-brake bosses :sad:

This frame could make me consider disks. The lighter frame, downtube cables, and road front derailleur just about offset the disc weight penalty.

http://212.202.110.172/e-vendo.php?...d7e8c&a=article&ProdNr=A3877&t=1739&p=47&c=47

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
problem...

problem is Mr. Bornmann, the owner of that "shop": just don't try to ask any questions or service! according to my fellow german weight-weenies he is a real a$$hole.

otherwise this is a real bargain.

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
holy balls that's light!
almost makes me sad that I'm never going to be light enough to trust a non-road frame this light
:p

anyone know what "Max Ari K" means?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Very nice. Especially that I would need a 17" frame.

Looks nice. I must think about this....

I said I would never use a CF frame off road...then again I said I would never wear white shoes! ;)

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
I almost went with a NoSaint Sc frame last year but decided against it due to reports of poor stiffness. At those weights I also wonder about stiffness issues with this frame....I'm just sayin'. For me the lack of V-brake bosses is a deal killer. While you shave a few grams with the downtube cable routing and perhaps a road FD I think you still have a ways to go to get to a V-brake setup weight. But if you gotta have disks then maybe this is a nice option IF it isn't a noodle. Someone needs to buy it and give us a report.:cool:

·
stealthbombers
56 Posts
Exact same frame as Ghost Lector and Fuji carbon frame. But a lot cheaper.
I don't like the paintjob though...

·
Registered
137 Posts
any idea if they will ship to Australia ? Ive emailed them, but thought someone on here may have bought from outside the EU.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably bettter to call them, so you can confirm price without 19% VAT. They do have at least one guy who speaks English. If they won't ship to OZ, I could receive the frame and forward to OZ, at your expense. But, I may have to pay VAT.

Radsport Bornmann GmbH
Königstor 48
D-34117 Kassel
Tel. +49-561-9200930-0
Fax +49-561-9200930-99

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
speaking o v-brakes, shimano has a new version XT V-brake for 2008 that's claimed to be 152g lighter for a front and rear pair than the previous version. So that'd be a good sign the big-S isn't abandoning v-brakes at the high end for racers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DeeEight said:
speaking o v-brakes, shimano has a new version XT V-brake for 2008 that's claimed to be 152g lighter for a front and rear pair than the previous version. So that'd be a good sign the big-S isn't abandoning v-brakes at the high end for racers.
It's good to know they're trying, but BR-M760 weighed 500g without levers! If BR-M770 weigh 350g, then they finally weigh the same as the $20 Avids from 10 years ago! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you call them, ask for Jens
He is the only one doing a good job in my opinion.
But remember tomorrow is public holiday in Germany :thumbsup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sharpe, will they ship overseas? A few people have PM'ed me asking for prices.

I want to clarify above offer to help: I am NOT a dealer and don't want to become one. I am only willing to help fellow WW with shipping IF Bornmann will not deal direct. My cost with VAT, 2x shipping, and exchange fees would be about $1000/frame, so I encourage people to try to deal direct.

Tomorrow is German Reunification Day! The day when the grumpy old West Germans complain how much better things were BEFORE the wall came down...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Overseas could be tricky
but to be honest I don´t know!
the don´t even list UK for shipping
better to give them a call
if I would have seen the tread earlier.. I talked to Jens today

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I'm very interested in getting a new, cheaper frame to replace my soon to be sold scale. Does anyone have any links to reviews or usage opinions about this frame? Like Axis II, i'd be interested as long as the low weight doesnt sacrifice too much stiffness. Also, I notice that if I go down the PedalForce route, I'd save about £200 compared to this, but it would be slightly heavier/not as nice. What are your opinions about the PF and hat would you reccommend?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm selling now so I dont loose too much value on it (its a 2007 scale 10) and hope I can possibly make £100 or so by using a different frame. (Money is useful to me as I've just started Uni). Also, I've come to the conclusion that I've grown out of my M frame as I have to run the post at full length but its still too short...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am feeling helpful today, so I called the shop. I confirm Nino's comment that Herr Bornmann is not so friendly. But, Jens was very helpful and speaks good English. Here is what I learned.

Technical:
Headset is NOT included
BB size is BSA 68mm
No V-brake version is planned
Brake hose guides are on left side of top tube (same as Ghost Lector http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=8646)
Note about top-pull derailleur is incorrect. Only bottom pull can be used.

Business:
Bornmann has no experience shipping outside EU. If they do ship overseas, they would collect VAT and would later refund it to the buyer when presented with proper paperwork showing that the frame was legally exported.
They only have a few frames in stock, but expect next container in 3-4 weeks.

For disc-brake users in EU, this may be a better deal than Pedal Force. By the time I paid shipping, tax, and duty to get my $500 PF frame to Luxembourg, total cost was about $700, or 500Euro at today's rate.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lycramike said:
I'm selling now so I dont loose too much value on it (its a 2007 scale 10) and hope I can possibly make £100 or so by using a different frame. (Money is useful to me as I've just started Uni). Also, I've come to the conclusion that I've grown out of my M frame as I have to run the post at full length but its still too short...
Scale is a weird bike, so some parts such as front mech, seatpost, and possibly BB and headset won't swap to a different brand. The money you save in swapping frames will be spent replacing these parts, leaving you with no net cash and a heavier, less valuable bike.

Simplest and cheapest fix is to try a 420mm seatpost with shim like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FSA-FR-270-ATB-...ryZ58101QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://www.use1.com/products/seat_post_shims/index.php

If you can't get proper fit with longer seatpost and stem, talk to your shop about swapping to a size L frame. Perhaps they'll feel remorse over selling you an undersized $4000 bike and cut you a deal on a larger frame.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts