Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just noticed there is no "link" for reviewing freewheels in the product review section. Is this some kind of prejudice against singlespeeders? How/who do we contact to get this fixed? Am I just missing it?

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
toad said:
Hey, I just noticed there is no "link" for reviewing freewheels in the product review section. Is this some kind of prejudice against singlespeeders? How/who do we contact to get this fixed? Am I just missing it?
Yea, Francis is anti-singlespeed! :rolleyes:

Contact Gregg or Francis... bottom of MTBR front page.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Kind of a short list

I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, I can do it right here
Shimano = 3.50
ACS Claws = 4.00
Dicta = 3.49
White Industries = 4.95 (nothing is perfect)

1 person reviewing each.......Yes I've tried them all.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya thanks! I just got into ss, thats why I am interested. I started with the ACS claw, and I like it (a little noisy, in a weird way, not just the ratcha-cha-cha), but just bought an AC freewheel in a 15 tooth that fits a standard thread. I was kinda wondering what people have thought of the AC. It seems pretty decent, not too expensive, and allows me a little more gear without switching the front ring. Anyone else feel free to chime in with their ratings!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
toad said:
Ya thanks! I just got into ss, thats why I am interested. I started with the ACS claw, and I like it (a little noisy, in a weird way, not just the ratcha-cha-cha), but just bought an AC freewheel in a 15 tooth that fits a standard thread. I was kinda wondering what people have thought of the AC. It seems pretty decent, not too expensive, and allows me a little more gear without switching the front ring. Anyone else feel free to chime in with their ratings!
Hey Toad.....also new to SSing and also have a Ventana and also using an ACS claw. While I am a newbie and have yet to compare it against anything else, it just seems like a marginal product. It has gotten gunked up pretty easily through each ride. The "elements" clearly seem to affect it directly. After a couple of rides, when I spin the rear wheel (while standing along side it), the cranks spin almost along side it which I can only attribute to its marginal quality and the fact that crap must have gotten in their dissallowing it to run freely. Having said that, I do not mind since I am running it on what is my beater bike (Surly fully rigid). I defer to the seasoned veterans on how to maintain it better. I have found that getting some Dumonde lubricant (my new favorite) in their after the ride helps alot for the next ride....but I am sure it is only a band-aid (again, I defer to others on how to best manage the ACS).

On my new single speed (being built as we speak), I will be running an ENO which I am excited about. I have also noticed the poor engagement on the ACS when climbing which is more frustrating than its apparent lack of preventing the elements to impact its integrity. When hitting the short steep climbs (a lot of them here) or frankly at all times where pedal engagment matters, I really welcome the supposed superior engagement of the ENO.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running it on what is my beater bike (Surly fully rigid).
Wahh! I am running it on a rigid Surly too! Only it is a crosscheck. I have actually rebuilt the ACS already just to see if removing one of the thin little washers would help with the noise issue. But it didn't. It really wasnt too hard to rebuid it. You just have to keep track of all the little bearings, but it kinda took me back to the old days of rebuilding cone and bearing hubs/bottom brackets yadda yadda. The internals are really not too impressive, and even though it has four pawls, only 2 engage at a time, which probably quickens its engagement. But it seems to work pretty good!

·
Registered
553 Posts
There is a lot of info in past posts about the different freewheels. I waded through them all recently when I was deciding what to do about the freewheel on my new bike, and this is what I cam up with.

1. ENO ($70) is superior if you are going to ride in wet conditions, or if you are concerned with how quickly it engages. Easily rebuildable.

2. ACS ($20) are the next best. They do not engage as quickly as the ENO and if you ride in the wet, you should plan on replacing the freewheel at least once a season. You can help them last longer by soaking them in synthetic motor oil before using them, and then occasionally throughout the season to flush out the garbage. There were also some reccommendations about the use of phil woods tenacious oil, but I do not remember the details of that procedure. The infamous ACS knock can be cured by adding a paper washer to the freewheel when you rebuild it. There are several people that report their ACS freewheels lasting for years, but they seemed to be in the minority. The riders in my area (the northeast) that use them replace them at least once a year.

3. Shimano ($15-$20)- near silent operation, but do not last as long as the ACS. There were some fans of these because of their noise, and some claimed that they lasted longer than ACS, but the majority of opinion seemed to be that the ACS were of higher quality.

4. Dicta. I did not read much on the Dicta freewheel. They appear to be cheap (inexpensive).

My choice:
I ended up going with a 19 tooth ENO to replace the 16 tooth shimano that came on my bike. I figured getting the ENO up front would save me money in the long run (One $70 ENO = many seasons; one $20 ACS = one season). I got into winter riding this past year, and I have heard that the unsealed frewheels freeze up pretty quickly if you hit water int he winter. I have only had a chance to ride my bike around the neighborhood, but even on those short rides, the engagement lag on the shimano freewheel was bothering me. I have not mounted up the ENO yet, but spinning it in my hands, it has a noticeably quicker engagement than the shimano. It will be nice to see how it feels on the bike.

My disclaimer: I have very little experience riding with freewheels, and all of the opinions above are summarized from what I gleaned from other people on this board. I hope this rambling was a little helpful.

GF

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
don't let it be about the coin...

if saving up for the best freewheel is going to keep you off your bike buy the cheapest you can find with empties or something. Ride it into the ground and try a few gear ratios too. Be sure you like the setup before you drop the big $$$.

No debate the ENO is the best and you pay a price for it. Buy one and let your spawn inherit it!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info!
It seems odd to me that there is really only one "great" option. Especially with the relatively simplicity of these freewheels, you would think more companies would be trying to develop higher end models. It seems the high end freewheels are an underdeveloped market that someone should jump into. Maybe produce a sealed, reliable version for around 50 bucks? Has anyone used an AC freewheel? I think its is called the 888 or something.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ac 888

I am interested in these too as they make a 15T FW that still has English threads! Anyone at all ever used one? Saw them on Webcyclery and they say they are the one to get if you dont want to drop the cash on an ENO. I want the 15T as I cannot get a bigger front ring to fit onto my current set-up and want a slightly taller ratio.

Buzz
MCM#45

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.