Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kyle h said:
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. awesome! :thumbsup:
Oh Kyle is much more from were does came from.

I can also carry some very serious "Tools" when the job require.

Two 45 pound bikes and a ton of gear and trip becomes very interesting, very fast.

I made the rack out of old wasted bicycle parts in 1996 and so far I have about 150,000 miles carrying bikes and other stuff on her (bike is 385,000 miles old).

this is one of the earliest picture I have.

The record so far four complete bicycles, one frame and a bunch of parts, from Berkeley california to a swap meet in colorado a few years back.
Ps: sorry I did not have a camara then, but if somebody has pictures of my bike I will love to have them.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We end up with a very nice "Bird" after the Turkey ride today at Repack.

She was totally cool and playful, in fact if you are ever around fairfax (the "Birth place" of Mountain bikes) at turkey day you need to come to the ride, at least 1000 rider did Re-pack this morning, including many of the legends.

She was seating on my friend Dale "Actual Size" KTM 950

I'm in the Green vest and i'm 6.2", I guess you get the picture, well the top tube on his bike is about 25,5 long and he can pedal like a mad man too.

Actually if anybody is interested Here is a whole gallery full of concept drawings like this, very helpful to make your own rack.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
pimpbot said:
Crashmaster aka Crazy Andy had one on his moto, IIRC. He said it felt funny on the freeway because the bikes dragged so much it made the front end lighter.

Are you seeing that with your rig?
Nope, well you need to be careful because is a lot more mass on the rear end.

The cross winds are also a issue but is not a big deal.

For sure over the years I try to install racks on other model bikes and a learn a ton of thing along the way including that most of the bikes are not stable enough, strong enough, not even my tall KT 640 was fit for rack dutty..

Even then that front tire end up touching the ground even if is 16" away from the ground.

Again so far I have travel many, many miles and never ever have a problem do to the bicycles (well hit to mirrors on Ford F-150 but by now I know better), even lane splitting on the freeway and the bridges is not a issue.

for sure is not for everybody, I don't drink, i'm super careful and I'm being riding for a long time carrying tons of heavy loads

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
pimpbot said:
Crashmaster aka Crazy Andy had one on his moto, IIRC. He said it felt funny on the freeway because the bikes dragged so much it made the front end lighter.

Are you seeing that with your rig?
andys was sick

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
bikes on motos, big deal. I did it with my 82 CB450f back in 87 and there's a guy here with racks on his HD and his Goldwing. Get the bikes off the motos and post some images of some trails.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
this is the "car & biker" forum .... so check out one of the other areas of MTBR if you want to see trail pics

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Melt said:
andys was sick

That is actually the typical way they being made, not exactly creative but works.

The main problem is that the fork and specially the handlebar compress the space of the rider a lot, making it unconfortable and for sure unsafe.

personally i think the side system is a lot better, besides I can carry a passenger and there bike too.

Still better than this.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Caffeine Powered said:
bikes on motos, big deal. I did it with my 82 CB450f back in 87 and there's a guy here with racks on his HD and his Goldwing. Get the bikes off the motos and post some images of some trails.
Any Pictures..!?!?
I will love to see it.

How many bikes were you able to carry.?
room for the girlfriend..?
even a back pack...??

On mine I can carry a track bike on one side and a downhill bike on the other including a passenger and all the loads, hell see people with Hummers puzzle trying to carry two bikes.

What I don't understand is how you guys and gals need a whole section to talk about racks for cars..

I'm just trying to show how minimal can you really go.

"I use to Complain about my shoes, Until I meet a fellow with out his Feet"

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tl1 said:
...just rig up a bike trailer? Especially in a cross wind? :) :cornut:
Wow that is one of Tony Foale motorcycles.

Do you have any bigger pictures of it..

I have plans (blue prints) for a multi bike single wheel trailer, but really I never found the need to make it.

thanks for the awesome photo.

·
-Fly you fools!-
203 Posts
Hey man that's awesome! Nice bike! I have a 2006 Yamaha R6, so don't think I could really do this, and also, it's not my main transportation, more of a fun escape kinda thing to get out for a day(which I suppose the bike could just be an extension of that), But I also like to take the bike to the track and stuff, so I dunno how all that would work. But anyway, that's an awesome idea, and 385,000 miles on a bike, that's nuts! More power to you man!! lol

Also, you said lane splitting is legal in Cali...Are you sure of that? I think I remember reading somewhere that it's not technically "legal" there, and that if a cop wanted to, they could give you a ticket for it, it's just they usually look the other way and don't care too much....Just wondering though, I could be wrong. Lane splitting is illegal here in NJ, but sometimes I do it, and it's awesome passing through all the traffic or sliding down the side of cars to make right turns and stuff, lol.

Anyway, two wheels all the way!!!(although I love my car too) Keep it up and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
scotty878 said:
Hey man that's awesome! Nice bike! I have a 2006 Yamaha R6, so don't think I could really do this, and also, it's not my main transportation, more of a fun escape kinda thing to get out for a day(which I suppose the bike could just be an extension of that), But I also like to take the bike to the track and stuff, so I dunno how all that would work. But anyway, that's an awesome idea, and 385,000 miles on a bike, that's nuts! More power to you man!! lol
I beyond the whole speed thing on the street this days, but I can understand the exitment of going ultra fast specially on a proper track, actually i do that in the dirt, I'm no rock star by any means but I can chase some pretty fast "Dakar" guys and is super fun to be doing a 100mph in the desert (not in my black bike for sure, well not on this black bike, I just don't want to start a whole crazy motorcycle topic since this is a bicycle forum)
Also, you said lane splitting is legal in Cali...Are you sure of that? I think I remember reading somewhere that it's not technically "legal" there, and that if a cop wanted to, they could give you a ticket for it, it's just they usually look the other way and don't care too much....Just wondering though, I could be wrong. Lane splitting is illegal here in NJ, but sometimes I do it, and it's awesome passing through all the traffic or sliding down the side of cars to make right turns and stuff, lol.
Well thank "John & Ponch" for this rule that only apply to california..

The Old Kawazaki ZX1000 were aircool engines (no water cooling) and they require constant flow or air, for that very reason the engines can suffer and over heat if run at slow speed, specially in stop and go traffic, Anyway somehow the law apply to every motorcycle not just to police machines..

Is truth that is rules about doing it and you need to be prudent, is not like riding in paris that you can go as fast as you want, but the rules are slack enough that you can ride as fast as your heart content ( 80mph in between cars is more than I can handle for hours on end)
Anyway, two wheels all the way!!!(although I love my car too) Keep it up and stay safe out there!
I don't even know how to drive a car and sincerely i never really found the need, even if getting older the more Guzzy Guzz I become.

·
-Fly you fools!-
203 Posts
Oh yeah, I completely agree about the speed thing, on the roads, I don't go very fast at all when I'm out there, and that's the reason I try to get out to the track a lot and release the "need for speed."

But anyway, digging the bike rack, and I think it's even cooler that it's made out of bike parts.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
scotty878 said:
Oh yeah, I completely agree about the speed thing, on the roads, I don't go very fast at all when I'm out there, and that's the reason I try to get out to the track a lot and release the "need for speed."
Sure this bike is more of a "Pick up" truck than anything else, skinny agil cheap and fast, specially in heavy traffic.

But anyway, digging the bike rack, and I think it's even cooler that it's made out of bike parts.
Yeah I don't think I show you gals and guys how it was made.

This bend tubes are actually road bike handlebars that were defective (Bianchi recall 1996) I just cut them in half and unite them with the longitudinal tubes.

The front wheel holders are just your standard Yakima wheel things, they work great, currently I have a version I made to carry the 20MM axle.

The cross tubes are just mountain bike handlebars that were to bend to be use on a bicycle.

24" inch BMX rims used as "compression struts"

One more view.

The main tube parts were made out of a "windsurf Hawai" boom I broke at the head..

the rest came fror a snowboard plate, trek 8000 delrin bushings (Came on the boxes before build up) and thule car towers.

The rear mounts can be rotated backwards if I need to carry something really bulky, long or whatever.

Again this rack end up being made this way, because those are the parts I found on the bike shop dumpster that day (most of them at least) if I was to make it again, I'm sure will be different in terms of crafting even if the core concept will be kind of the same..

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.