Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
A Blessing, really, IMO

Mostly we heard complaints from true enduros about the marathon events linked to NMBS races. They seem to have been compromise courses linking lots of non-techy fireroad to existing short courses. Yeah, exposure for the format is always good but marathons might best be left to promoters that are experts at it. And let's face it, metric centuries aren't true marathons anymore anyway (they're in between). NMBS marathons were pricey for nothing in return, certainly not atmosphere.

I think I will miss seeing hard men like Jeremiah Bishop win the marathon on a thursday or friday and podium in the short course on Sunday. Classic weekend efforts those were.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
vzman said:
last nmbs marathon that i did was 5-laps on a 7 mile course:confused: not much of a marathon if you ask me.
Definitely. The format was a blast in '04 & '05, but last year they really tossed the NORBA guidelines out the window when it came time to design a course.

I had a blast doing a bunch of them in '04, it really opened a lot of doors for me. No looking back now though!

·
etnorthcounty.com
25 Posts
Let's see, TBB dropped endurance class after the 2005 season, there's no marathon class at the nationals for 2007, and I can't find any information about the Brian Head Epic for 2007. What's happening to our sport?

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the NMBS press office

Hey All,
I work for the NMBS and I ran this topic by series owner Jeff Frost for his comments. This is what he had to say:

The primary reason [for dropping marathons from NMBS] is quite simple - National venues have compromised Marathon courses - multiple laps of the Fontana cross country is not a marathon. It may be a marathon in distance but not in the spirit of the marathon discipline. As the Series has been criticized for not being "urban" - when you go to an "urban' venue you lose the ability to do a marathon. Several of the best marathon courses over the years were in the least accessible venues (Schweitzer, Idaho).

In fairness, and in hopes of developing better marathon racers, events like Leadville, the E 100 Series, serve the marathon racers better.

Thanks, and despite the lack of a marathon event, we hope to see some people at NMBS #1 NOVA National this weekend in Fountain Hills, AZ.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Dang :eek: I hope one day to get back to Schweitzer for a race, particularly the marathon. That was one of the greatest places I've ever ridden. I probably would've been faster except I was too busy being in awe of mother nature around me and not putting everything into the race. A few times I just had to stop and take a look around. It was crazy to be on one mountain and look over to another and see little specks of racers zipping around like ants.

West Virginia's marathon was pretty good, but I prefer the separation from the NMBS overall

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
2007 NMBS said:
Hey All,
I work for the NMBS and I ran this topic by series owner Jeff Frost for his comments. This is what he had to say:

The primary reason [for dropping marathons from NMBS] is quite simple - National venues have compromised Marathon courses - multiple laps of the Fontana cross country is not a marathon. It may be a marathon in distance but not in the spirit of the marathon discipline. As the Series has been criticized for not being "urban" - when you go to an "urban' venue you lose the ability to do a marathon. Several of the best marathon courses over the years were in the least accessible venues (Schweitzer, Idaho).

In fairness, and in hopes of developing better marathon racers, events like Leadville, the E 100 Series, serve the marathon racers better.

Thanks, and despite the lack of a marathon event, we hope to see some people at NMBS #1 NOVA National this weekend in Fountain Hills, AZ.
Hey, that's really cool of you to check in here. Thanks for the info. I 100% see Jeff's point and dilemna, it makes sense.

For the overly competitive, USAC seems to be going in the right direction with the ultra series. Nevermind that some of the events occur on the same weekends...and are remote low key events...it's better than no enduro events on the national calendar.

·
Registered
408 Posts
how we doin?

etrogden said:
Let's see, TBB dropped endurance class after the 2005 season, there's no marathon class at the nationals for 2007, and I can't find any information about the Brian Head Epic for 2007. What's happening to our sport?
it's doin' just fine:

http://www.ride424.com/calendar.php

Race til yer legs fall off...

Cheers,

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
I also believe that the Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge CO is the US Marathon National championships this year. Race is ran on July 4th.

From USA Cycling webpage:

Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge to host MTB Marathon Nationals

Colorado Springs, Colo. (March 19, 2007)—The “Firecracker 50” in Breckenridge, Colo. on July 4 has been designated as the 2007 and 2008 USA Cycling Mountain Bike Marathon National Championships, the national governing body announced today.

The Fourth of July event will host national championship races for men and women in several marathon categories. In 2007, off-road cyclists will compete for national titles in Pro/Open 19+, 19-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-49 and 50+ categories for men, while women will compete for stars-and-stripes jerseys in Pro/Open 19+, 19-29, 30-39 and 40+ categories.

Competitors will ride two laps of a 25-mile loop and the event’s neutral start will once again be incorporated into the town’s Fourth of July parade on Main Street before venturing off road.

The marathon discipline of the national championships will be held apart from the 2007-08 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships at Mount Snow Resort in West Dover, Vt. due to limited land access around the resort.

·
Registered
123 Posts
UMM,
the Firecracker 50 is the Marathon National Championship. BUt there is a National Ultra Endurance Series at www.usacycling.org
Personally I'm a little disapointed by the variety offered.
And the Firecracker 50 is going to be a ***** for flatlanders at 9680ft.
I talked to Some USA cycling folk and they said decisions about where events are held are based on a lottery. If you have a race you really like, encourage the promoters to put a bid in for next year.
Harlan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.