Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...we do have nice parks!

Cleveland Metroparks Named “Best in Nation” for Parks and Recreation Management | Cleveland Metroparks

Their volunteer program seriously helps harness a lot of that volunteer spirit that shows time and again in CLE, as well as allowing user groups to take some ownership in the parks - mountain bike trails included!

They balance horses, hikers, bikers, birders, boaters, skaters, fishers (sic), photographers, and countless other outdoorspeople in a fraction of the space that other areas have at their disposal...in an urban setting.

Win win all around!

-F

· Banned
2,294 Posts
...we do have nice parks!

Cleveland Metroparks Named “Best in Nation” for Parks and Recreation Management | Cleveland Metroparks

Their volunteer program seriously helps harness a lot of that volunteer spirit that shows time and again in CLE, as well as allowing user groups to take some ownership in the parks - mountain bike trails included!

They balance horses, hikers, bikers, birders, boaters, skaters, fishers (sic), photographers, and countless other outdoorspeople in a fraction of the space that other areas have at their disposal...in an urban setting.

Win win all around!

-F
you are fairly close to Moraine SP in western Pa,which is still the most technical place I have ever rode to date.

West Branch near you is pretty fun as well.

6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are fairly close to Moraine SP in western Pa,which is still the most technical place I have ever rode to date.

West Branch near you is pretty fun as well.
We have some pretty good options these days. Nothing crazy, of course, but developing some good variety. WBSP is still the best, most raw trail around. And when all that gets old we head down to Athens or over to PA: Moraine, Michaux, Ohiopyle, Bradys, State College/Rothrock, Blue Knob SP, Laurel Mt., Jakes/Morrison, Raystown sometimes... haven't seen Kennerdell in a long time. Used to ride Roaring Run. We've had some great rides in PA over the years.
Ellicottville, NY is pretty awesome, too.

A few go to MI or IN, but more probly go to NC, GA, TN - that's still fewer than go to PA, tho.

-F

· Registered
1,128 Posts
I love western PA riding in part because it's my home but also for me there's a certain charm to non-purpose built technical slugfest trails....like Laurel Mt and Moraine, both already mentioned. Roaring run is also worth the experience in a completely unique way.

The only close place I'd mention not on your list is Big Bear. I love to head there once or twice a year.

I've never done Ohio for riding.... Any shouldn't miss suggestions?

6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love western PA riding in part because it's my home but also for me there's a certain charm to non-purpose built technical slugfest trails....like Laurel Mt and Moraine, both already mentioned. Roaring run is also worth the experience in a completely unique way.

The only close place I'd mention not on your list is Big Bear. I love to head there once or twice a year.

I've never done Ohio for riding.... Any shouldn't miss suggestions?
Our local IMBA chapter is doing a Big Bear weekend this Friday! I am so there! 1st time.

If you are coming near CLE, most people say West Branch SP (this is one of the 1st) or Mohican SP and Mohican Wilderness. Wilderness is pretty raw and has some unique features, while the SP trail is an IMBA epic (I really like this trail, and it's easiest to navigate).
Vultures Knob is unique in this area, with a lot packed into a short course, but not really a destination. Totally worth it if you're already here, tho.
Ray's Indoor Bike Park in CLE is fantastic. Perfect bad weather destination. Get a cheap hotel and stay over night. I think they even have weekend package deals. They change it up every year, and it's as fun to ride as it is to watch everyone else. So it never gets old.
A lot of people rave about East Rim, but since it's a flow trail it is not unique (it could be anywhere) and does not really have any of the NE Ohio character like the other more natural trails.

If you are going all the way to Columbus there are other options, but I usu. head East into PA instead of South.

Check out MTBproject or Trailforks.

-F

6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I grew up just north of Moraine SP and always looking for places to ride when I get home to visit. What is the mileage on the trail there?
We are getting OT, but maybe this should have all gone in the regional thread anyway.

There is a part that I know as the Stone Escalator. You ride UP it. Every red line is about 1 step. The spacing can be tricky.
Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Wood

-F

· Banned
2,294 Posts
I grew up just north of Moraine SP and always looking for places to ride when I get home to visit. What is the mileage on the trail there?

Maybe 12 miles if you ride everything, but it will take 2.5 hours if you are truly fast on a dry day. Its extremely technical. I have lived in Pa,utah, and Vermont and have rode all over and its I would nt call it the most intimidated place but its is by far the most technical I have seen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.