Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mega exo wears out in 3-6 months (IH Sunday WC)! What's a good replacement that won't break the bank, and last for years?? And I'm from bmx...am I going to need a "special tool" to change it out? THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS!! :thumbsup:

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Kris said:
Square taper.
On a DH bike. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

I think Raceface and Truvative are now making FR outboard BBs. That said, I woundn't suggest the RF versions, the smaller balls don't leave enough room for debris.

Also check this
http://enduroforkseals.com/id136.html
Call them and ask if it is appropraite usage. Website includes instructions.

Mr. P

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr.P said:
On a DH bike. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

I think Raceface and Truvative are now making FR outboard BBs. That said, I woundn't suggest the RF versions, the smaller balls don't leave enough room for debris.

Also check this
http://enduroforkseals.com/id136.html
Call them and ask if it is appropraite usage. Website includes instructions.

Mr. P
Wow..ceramic for hundred bucks? I know I have a crank puller...am I going to need another tool to replace the bearings? Man I'm WAY behind the learing curve. 15yrs ago I would build my bmx bikes piece by piece. I thought I knew bikes well. But now I have to ask seemingly stupid questions....:eek: :shocked: :eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Skf Isis

I got an SKF stainless steel ISIS about a year ago, after many bb's. The SKF is holding up great so far. i never had a ISIS bb more than six months. I am not a fan of the out board bearing. This is working very well. :thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
not an external, the only thing in the shell is a plastic tube

dano fwiw it has an alloy (wow) sleeve according to FSA's website...

OB1 a crank puller doesn't work with external type bearings for cup removal...try one of these http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2446-00'

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess that's another tool I need. I appreciate the advice guys. But now that I'm looking on Jenson, CBO, etc...I'm even more confused. There are a thousand different kinds of bb's with huge price ranges. I don't know which are applicable to my cranks or not? :madmax: I need the book "10 Years Of Bike Innovation, And You." :p I JUST WANNA RIDE!!! Maybe I bought this workstand and tools for nothing? I used to build my wheels with custom lace patterns using spokes I cut myself. Now I can't even shop for a BB!! :incazzato: :smallviolin:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You can replace the bearing cups (the external bearing cups) with just about any brand of external bearings like the Enduroforkseals.com versions (or get a bearing tool and just replace the bearings, Phil Wood bearings would be another thought for you). If you want to change over to another crank then you would need to match the bb and type up with that crank. Try reading this for a rundown of the various crank/bb options out there http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You can replace the bearing cups (the external bearing cups) with just about any brand of external bearings like the Enduroforkseals.com versions (or get a bearing tool and just replace the bearings, Phil Wood bearings would be another thought for you). If you want to change over to another crank then you would need to match the bb and type up with that crank. Try reading this for a rundown of the various crank/bb options out there http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html.
Those ceramic bearings are tempting. But they would last awhile! Thanks for the info!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Ceramic bearings in an ideal world of ceramic bearings and races might be a great thing, but most ceramic offerings are hybrid, ceramic bearings in steel races, thus races will suffer, at least from what I've seen...ceramic is just something to make your mind happier and your wallet lighter at this point IMHO.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I went from an ISIS bbs every month, to external cup XT new bearings at 6000 km.

Enduro's are in now only 1500 km so far but really smooth.

The SKF roller ISIS caught my eye but a little late for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
something else to consider

Another thing to consider is the alignment of your BB shell. I had a giant VT and was wearing out BB every few months. I got a micrometer on the BB shell and found out that the none drive side wasn't perfectly square with the shell. This was causing the BB to be loaded unevenly and thus wearing out the bearings more quickly. You may want to take your bike to your LBS (assuming you don't have facing tools at home), and get them to face the BB shell. This will remove any excess paint buildup and ensure that this isn't causing your problems. This is an often overlooked step when outboard bearing BBs are installed.

Most high end / boutique manufactures do this before they sell the bike (Cannondale included), but I have yet to see any of the taiwanese based manufacturers doing this.

Cheers,

Adam

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is there something wrong with my BB that I don't know about?
I had to replace my cranks in AUG 2002 and that is the most recently that my BB might have been changed, if it has ever been (2000 Giant Rainier). It seems like everyone talks about how they replace their BB all the time and I guess I don't understand why mine seems to still be fine after at least 4 1/2 years. Maybe it's needed to be replaced all this time and I just don't know what to look for.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
qben--it's got more to do with the miles/time ridden, type of bb and conditions you ride in than the time alone; if your bb isn't causing you any grief then don't worry about it.

As far as ceramics go, there's a great thread currently running in this forum on the subject with lots of input from chris2fur from enduroforkseals.com, very interesting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the raceface xc evolve crankset with outboard bearings.I am trying to remove it.I have undone the 10mm cover and the 8mm crankbolt from the driveside.Then replaced the alloy cover as a crankremover but have had no luck.....in fact the allen key hole is now burred and I have no way of removing any of it.This should be simple what i am I doing wrong and why is the crankpuller made of light alloy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.