Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Got a suspension fork
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidden Hills, the neighborhood that you would ride up the street after coming over Sunrise in order to get up to the dirt road, this is now closed to bikes for it sounds like at least until the end of the year and maybe longer.

The gates used to be staggered, now they are closed, the city still has an easement but are not allowing bikes into the private community until a bypass is built.

When I road bike out that way, big deal, I can turn around at the gate and not feel put out very much at all. But when you're on your mtb and you come over Sunrise, how in the heck to you connect to the Sonoran trail now?

Big Double, nope.

Quad, not now.

What's the work around other than crashing the gate and riding where we're not supposed to be riding?

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
Cut your own trail. The city has known about this issue for a while now and there are enough people to volunteer to make a connector trail, but the problem still exists. Guess your tax money isn't enough to make a simple trail to solve the problem.

MTBP

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
Private community or not. Our tax $ paid for and pay to maintain.
If I need to get through there to reach a trail I will do so.
I may even wear a hoodie for the neighborhood rent a cop.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hmm...and I thought an easement meant that the property owner could not bar you from crossing their land. Does a city have the right to give back an easement that is owned by its citizens?

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Hidden Hills, the neighborhood that you would ride up the street after coming over Sunrise in order to get up to the dirt road, this is now closed to bikes for it sounds like at least until the end of the year and maybe longer.

The gates used to be staggered, now they are closed, the city still has an easement but are not allowing bikes into the private community until a bypass is built.

When I road bike out that way, big deal, I can turn around at the gate and not feel put out very much at all. But when you're on your mtb and you come over Sunrise, how in the heck to you connect to the Sonoran trail now?

Big Double, nope.

Quad, not now.

What's the work around other than crashing the gate and riding where we're not supposed to be riding?

drink beer, ride bikes, go f*** yourself

·
1,447 Posts
Somebody sent me this.

Has anyone actually tried this alternative?

If I'm riding alone, I'm with Chollaball's mindset. However for the McDowell AES ride, that is not going to work. The loop around the McDowells is a really nice one - there has to be a way to make it work.

BTW, I have seen plans for a trail from the top of Sunrise to the Western Loop trail. THis would make this problem go away, but I'm guessing that it'll be years before that actually happens.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
why? afraid they are going to deny you access? this is a job for TrailDoc!
Damn straight. While I've only ridden the McDowells twice,and through Hidden Hills three times, this is friggin ridicilious. Time to OccupyBikeSeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Has anyone actually tried this alternative?

If I'm riding alone, I'm with Chollaball's mindset. However for the McDowell AES ride, that is not going to work. The loop around the McDowells is a really nice one - there has to be a way to make it work.

BTW, I have seen plans for a trail from the top of Sunrise to the Western Loop trail. THis would make this problem go away, but I'm guessing that it'll be years before that actually happens.
Not immediately, but probably not years, my understanding from when I spoke with a few of the Planners ~6months ago was that it was in progress or nearly so.

This whole topic is a joke - we tried the letter-writing and phone call route. The city planning committee (or whatever it is called...) voted to keep the easement, but at the last minute out of committee the decision was made to close it. Clearly someone made a decision based on influence, not research and evaluation. Politics is about power, political change is about conflict. The more you haul your bike over the gate and ride through the neighborhood the more of a public service you are doing to all the bubble-living Scottsdale wankers. Calls to the cops and calls to the city will HELP get the easement reopened\built\etc.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not immediately, but probably not years, my understanding from when I spoke with a few of the Planners ~6months ago was that it was in progress or nearly so.

This whole topic is a joke - we tried the letter-writing and phone call route. The city planning committee (or whatever it is called...) voted to keep the easement, but at the last minute out of committee the decision was made to close it. Clearly someone made a decision based on influence, not research and evaluation. Politics is about power, political change is about conflict. The more you haul your bike over the gate and ride through the neighborhood the more of a public service you are doing to all the bubble-living Scottsdale wankers. Calls to the cops and calls to the city will HELP get the easement reopened\built\etc.
I'll see if I can find the update I read just the other day on the Bike Haus website, they had a city person saying that the bypass likely won't be ready anytime in 2012 and that Hidden Hills would remain closed until the bypass is completed.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I'll see if I can find the update I read just the other day on the Bike Haus website, they had a city person saying that the bypass likely won't be ready anytime in 2012 and the gates into Hidden Hills would remain closed until the bypass is completed.
FIFY. Gosh, the more I think about this, the more pissed I get. And I don't even have a dog in this fight. What a bunch of snobs. If I ever ride up there, and need to get from one end to the other, I'm 100% waiting for a car to enter or exit, and I'm riding through there loud and proud. I encourage all you regulars to do the same.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
"Sorry folks, parks closed, the big moose out front should have told you...."

Eff that....If I drive across the country to go to Wally World....I'm gonna man up like a Griswald and go to Wally World.

Attachments

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
......ohh, and while I'm on the subject of ridiculous McDowell/Scottsdale snobbery....the sign at the preserve says no weapons allowed except for guns and knives.........personally, If I choose to defend myself with my bowstaff, I'm gonna carry a bowstaff and Carla can just shove it......

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
......ohh, and while I'm on the subject of ridiculous McDowell/Scottsdale snobbery....the sign at the preserve says no weapons allowed except for guns and knives.........personally, If I choose to defend myself with my bowstaff, I'm gonna carry a bowstaff and Carla can just shove it......
well duh, they can't ban guns unless they provide a locker and an armed guard.

do you wanna ride tonight, or hella early tomorrow?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts