Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Vermont at NEMBA last weekend and Trek was not in attendance. NEMBA is probably the largest mountain bike festival in New England each summer. I asked around and was told they have discontinued their demo fleet. Any truth to this? Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
they used to have a trailer go around socal, but that stopped a few years ago. they said the bikes were getting trashed during the demos. seems odd a huge company cant deal with this.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here in Norcal--Bay area my 3 local dealers all have demo bikes on the floor---at least in the popular models---could be but I do not recall a demo trailer in recent years---

·
Registered
429 Posts
Trek had a demo day down here in socal a week or so ago, Gary Fisher was part of program.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
While there’s no longer a demo truck, our Trek store has had three demo days this year. I think they’re not hitting festivals, but the local dealer makes it easy to test ‘em out.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
While there's no longer a demo truck, our Trek store has had three demo days this year. I think they're not hitting festivals, but the local dealer makes it easy to test 'em out.
Same. Plenty at my LBS, and you get to set the schedule, and choose the trails you ride.

·
Community Manager at Trek
592 Posts
Just wanted to jump in.

We stopped our demo touring that we did in the past with the trucks because our retailer network has grown significantly. At our owned retail stores, we host demo events often. At private retail stores, they have the option to purchase demo bikes and then they can support their community with the option to demo as well!

We still attend some national events though (anyone catch us at Sea Otter?).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to jump in.

We stopped our demo touring that we did in the past with the trucks because our retailer network has grown significantly. At our owned retail stores, we host demo events often. At private retail stores, they have the option to purchase demo bikes and then they can support their community with the option to demo as well!

We still attend some national events though (anyone catch us at Sea Otter?).
I will check with my local LBS to see if they have any demo bikes, I don't believe they do and if they did probably not all sizes or models.

Any chance you have a listing of demo days at Trek owned retail stores?

You were missed at NEMBA this year. Thanks for responding.

·
Community Manager at Trek
592 Posts
I will check with my local LBS to see if they have any demo bikes, I don't believe they do and if they did probably not all sizes or models.

Any chance you have a listing of demo days at Trek owned retail stores?

You were missed at NEMBA this year. Thanks for responding.
No prob! You can find all of our retail demos listed here: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/retaildemo/

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's a bummer but I get it. They'd show up at our local trails with no Fat Bikes (which are good in our sandy trails) and a bunch of Enduro bikes (which are ridiculous in Florida). Hopefully they incentivize the local shops to keep a relevant and current demo fleet on hand.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's a bummer but I get it. They'd show up at our local trails with no Fat Bikes (which are good in our sandy trails) and a bunch of Enduro bikes (which are ridiculous in Florida). Hopefully they incentivize the local shops to keep a relevant and current demo fleet on hand.
Yep spot on and same experience here in Western Washington. The truck would show up at a local festival with great bikes but everybody is stuck riding a bunch of over-engineered flow trails.

I've found the Trek-owned dealers (we currently have two awesome Trek stores in the Seattle area with a third on the way) are great about keeping a demo fleet on hand and being really transparent about what bikes are available, sizes, etc. Same goes for their organized demo days.

Problem is the LBS is still hit and miss on demo bikes. You call them up and they hold their hand over the receiver calling to the mechanics trying to figure out whose buddy has the "demo" (insert model here).

LBS have pretty much shot themselves in the foot on so many fronts but the one that baffles me is their unwillingness/inability to not only keep a fleet of demo bikes going but to also keep track of where they are. Seems like nine times out of ten some friend of the shop has (insert bike you want to demo) out on perm. loan. Those who have embraced demo programs as a profit center, both in the renting of the bikes and in applying the money towards purchase seem to get it but they are few and far between.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.