Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MBA May issue shows a Tungsten Electrode in its "Quick Releases" section and has this to say about its suspension: "IF claims their suspension is laterally stiff and offers virtually no bob, but is ultra plush and ready to respond to anything." And yet no mention of DW-Link.
And believe it or not, MBA's review of the Giant Trance 1 has this to say about its suspension origin: "The Maestro suspension design has an interesting history. It came close to not happening at all. Well into the Maestro design, testing and preproduction phase, Giant learned they were in violation of an existing suspension patent, the Virtual Pivot Point (VPP) owned by Santa Cruz bicycles. Giant had to hit the reset on their CAD. At the 11th hour, Giant went back to the drawing board and reconfigured the linkage so as not to break the existing patent."

·
Registered
179 Posts
MBA review of the 2003 Hollowpoint

MBA did a review of a 2003 Hollowpoint a couple of years ago and basically **** on it and Iron Horse. I actually owned that bike and 100% disagreed with the test, but I disagree with a lot of what "King Richard" says. I miss Zap and Mountain Bike. Anyway, there seemed to be a bit of a fued between MBA and Iron Horse/DW so my guess is that "King Richard" is ignoring the obvious and not mentioning the DW link. I would also have to assume that Iron Horse isn't planning on sending many bikes MBA's direction. Bike did a review a few months later on the 2003 Hollowpoint and it was much more accurate IMO.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
twentysix gave the hollowpoint 2004 bike of the year runner up

I know that twentysix isn't in business anymore, just decline and road are left. I thought that was a great magazine but I guess they were too objective and didn't suck the big companies hard enough. I read the article on the "new" Maestro suspension this month in MBA and thought I was going to friggin puke.

Supergo still has a link to the article.

http://www.supergo.com/images/hollow26A1.pdf

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hayduke1972 said:
MBA did a review of a 2003 Hollowpoint a couple of years ago and basically **** on it and Iron Horse. I actually owned that bike and 100% disagreed with the test, but I disagree with a lot of what "King Richard" says. I miss Zap and Mountain Bike. Anyway, there seemed to be a bit of a fued between MBA and Iron Horse/DW so my guess is that "King Richard" is ignoring the obvious and not mentioning the DW link. I would also have to assume that Iron Horse isn't planning on sending many bikes MBA's direction. Bike did a review a few months later on the 2003 Hollowpoint and it was much more accurate IMO.
i copy that

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hayduke1972 said:
i wrote a "nice"response to mba on that review,no response no print, when they test a bike, the guys are 5,8 165 lbs same test laps and preprogrammed as to which manufacturer's bikes to promote ,$ is power, even on bike reviews.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
mba is a joke

Cycling6500 said:
MBA May issue shows a Tungsten Electrode in its "Quick Releases" section and has this to say about its suspension: "IF claims their suspension is laterally stiff and offers virtually no bob, but is ultra plush and ready to respond to anything." And yet no mention of DW-Link.
And believe it or not, MBA's review of the Giant Trance 1 has this to say about its suspension origin: "The Maestro suspension design has an interesting history. It came close to not happening at all. Well into the Maestro design, testing and preproduction phase, Giant learned they were in violation of an existing suspension patent, the Virtual Pivot Point (VPP) owned by Santa Cruz bicycles. Giant had to hit the reset on their CAD. At the 11th hour, Giant went back to the drawing board and reconfigured the linkage so as not to break the existing patent."
if you read the reviews carefully you realize that they (well maybe two people?) do not really try anything, they just repeat old mantras, push certain products or manifacturers for reasons that are probably better left untold, and trash ocasionally some product just to give the impression to be tough, a scam.

but that is pretty much known, not to give credit to one of the few innovators in mountain bike is a much worse low point .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.