Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke down and bought a mtn bike magazine today,
inside was the usual mtn bike buyers guide. There must
have been 150+ bikes and not one of them was made by
Diamondback. IMO the mission, scapegoat and sortie
rival many of the bikes suggested in the magazine. I don't
understand why they wouldn't be suggested as "top buys"???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently picked up a 2009 edition magazine with a mountain Bike buyers guide in it. Surprisingly it did have a Mission and Sortie but very small pictures and details.

The mag had the retail prices and a list of specifications of all listed bikes. For your dollar, They certainly beat other bigger name rival bikes hands down. Comparing other brand bikes in similar categories with similar components, you could see up to $4000.00 difference in retail price.

Seems some bikes come with really expensive stickers!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey, it gets worst when you go out and ride =/
I get so many weird looks, mostly at the bike =(
I dun care. I out climbed/descend some dude on a Spec Epic the other week =D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree other brands are pretty proud of their stuff and
it shows it in the pricetag. I comparison shopped when I bought
my bike and was looking seriously at the spec enduro, long story short
I am riding a mission 2 and proud of it. I think I am the
only one in my local area riding one which I like even more.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Never any love. DB is will always get the looks because its sold at department stores and Costco. The hell with everyone who gives us stares thinking they are all that!! With all my upgrades I've done with my Coil EX, Im easily at par or above what many others ride as far as components. Lets face it its just the frame that sets it apart cuase everything else is mix n match. Show them whats up by passing them up hill or bombing down to put them in their place!

·
Registered
176 Posts
A great deal of it is up to us.

Any manufacturer in the world, whether it's cars, bike, computers, etc. is greatly influenced by their consumers. The same thing goes for how the product from that manufacturer is viewed by the other potential consumers of that product. Yes, a lot of it is also marketting, product quality, and customer service, but over time it is consumer loyalty that allows a company like Diamondback to grow and give such an outstanding product that allows us to show off to people riding bikes that are worth twice as much money. So, ultimately, if Diamondback shows up on podiums for local amateur races, if Diamondback is seen under an outstanding rider, and if Diamondback is seen being under a rider who can not stop grinning because of how the bike performs then Diamondback will be viewed differently by others. I know that there's a ton of other factors that influence issues such as what this thread is about, but I'm a pretty good believer that the same way that Diamondback empowers us to be able to ride trails with a bike that costs half as much $$ at the store, and yet performs just as well as a high end bike, we too empower Diamondback. Our support of their product allows them to grow and be viewed differently by other potential consumers of their product.

Just my two cents on the subject...

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
This is somewhat true, I got 3rd place in the Snake Creek Gap TT in Dalton GA this past saturday! DB on the podium! The brand is growing stronger and having worked along side the brand over the last 8 yrs I have seen a lot of growth. Good people in the DB team HQ's and it is all about getting the name out there to lots of people that don't know it and compare everything to a trek, specy, etc for example. Lots of it is marketing and there are a lot of dumb people out there that buy into all sorts of crap, reguardless of what it is! But I see Diamondback in the next few years being a much more well known company/brand and you'll see it more in the mags. etc... I love riding my Sortie now, because it is like a one of a kind, I know nobody else has exactly the same bike as me!:) Always puts a smile on my face when people drool over my bike. Had a lot of that this weekend at the race. People love the graphics! Overall ,out of 400 racers I had the 24th fastest time, but 3rd in my age class!

DB4L

Attachments

·
cycle dad
317 Posts
I always wonder what people are thinking when they look at my Mission. The fools who know nothing but brand names gotta be confused because of the fox suspension and top end sram drivetrain. They probably think I built up a department store bike:madman:

People who know anything instantly see what a cool bike it is. I've had a couple of guys ask if they could ride it. One guy handed me his Nomad to hold for him while he cruised. The other his transition. Both came back and said they loved it. The guy with the transition wanted to buy one.
The mission and sortie frames will put DB ahead of the game over the next few years. Add the Corsair and they will be true contenders.
I'm especially impressed with the constant improvement from year to year. From 2010 to 2011 they strengthened the mission frame to allow for a 180mm travel fork. I think it will only be a couple more years before we see a new DH member of the family.

·
Registered
433 Posts
taletotell said:
I always wonder what people are thinking when they look at my Mission. The fools who know nothing but brand names gotta be confused because of the fox suspension and top end sram drivetrain. They probably think I built up a department store bike:madman:
So true

·
Registered
581 Posts
oooh...so thats what those looks are! I still find it crazy that anyone looks down on a $2-3000+ bicycle...BICYCLE!! yea, I know there are $7-8-9 k rigs out there but I dont know..I look at the solidly built frame, the category standard fox front and rear suspension components, the sensible choice of drivetrain, wheels and brakes and truly wonder what can anyone poo-pooh about these bikes (Sortie, Mission and Scapegoat in particular). They stand out as a superb value anyone would be foolish to not consider..

Consider the respect the Ragley and On-One frames get for example. Very, very pocket friendly hard tail choices that are very well regarded. So I suspect it isnt necessarily cost but branding/perception has much to do with it.

I suppose I was totally out of the scene when the diamondback name fell out of favor as I recall them being one of the most coveted brands in all of BMX-dom back in the day so I missed "whatever" happened from then til now which is why I never batted an eye when I bought my Mission. Component for component it seemed a match for any comparable bike from anyone and was well thought of in every review I could find to read and the price was awesome. No brainer!!

·
cycle dad
317 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure I could find a single pivot bike that was much better than the scape goat. Top of the line freeride gear from top to bottom on an incredible frame. Some changes might be made for personal preference (not everybody likes the hammerschmit), but they are changing for items of equal value, not really better. The only exception, and something i would change if it were up to me is a thruaxel in the back. The goat is meant to handle stresses that deserve a stronger link to the rear wheel.
Other than that, why pay more? $6k is plenty!
DB lost respect when they started selling low end bikes and still calling them mountain bikes. Not everyone needs an mtb, but neither do mtbr's want the guy with the $200 DB outlook thinking his bike is as good as theirs any more than the guy with the unpedalable piece from walmart thinks his is a mtb because it has a flat bar and shifters. It's a pride thing I think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is funny about how alot treat the db line. Some guy told me I should look into gary fisher like the Full he was riding.The entire first mile he was on my tail then after that he never came near me :lol: . $ 1600 gary whipped by a kid wearing levis, tennis shoes, and riding a $700 DB. Alot of guys i talk to are only in the bike they have cuz of the frame.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bottom line it's not the bike it's the rider. A good rider
needs skill, experience and physical conditioning/strength.
I believe DB makes a great range of bikes. The upper end
starting with the Mission are just as good or better than the
Specs, treks and giants. DB has their lower end bikes that are
quality bikes that have lower end components etc. As do a lot
of other bike manufactorers, the big 3 included. I just thought it
was unusual to not see DB included in a 2011 bike buyers guide.
Could be a blessing in disguise, if everyone rode one it might make
me want something else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
037jeff said:
Bottom line it's not the bike it's the rider.
Very True. The problem is that people just look at you with disgust when you talk about DB. I would love to see the expression on some one if they did a test to see if it was the name. take the sortie black and another bike in the buyers guide and took all markings off them. Hade some pro and semi pros ride them and give their thoughts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.