1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two wheelsets:

DT Swiss 240s centerlocks laced to XR 4.1d rims

2006 Mavic Crossmax SL 6 bolt

I have now ridden the DT Swiss wheelset and think it performs very well; however, I plan on upgrading my brakes from Avid BB mechanical disc (I currently run a centerlock Shimano XT rotor with this Avid setup) to a light set of hydraulic discs (probably Magura Marta SL). As a side note... anyone know how the weight of a complete Magura Marta SL brake (rotor, caliper, hose, brake lever, hardware) compares with a complete Avid BB mechanical disc brake (mine were bought in 2005 or 2006).

I know that DT Swiss makes a 6 bolt rotor adapter for centerlock hubs, but to me, that setup seems less than 100% reliable and somewhat Mickey Mouse. I have heard that there is some play in the brakes as a result of rotor movement on the adapter. Also, after adding 29 grams to each wheel for the adapters, it makes my DT Swiss wheelset weight increase from 1,593 grams to 1,651 grams. This is only 34 grams less than my Crossmax SLs that are already designed to run a 6 bolt rotor.

Also, I have heard that Crossmax SLs are an overall faster rolling wheelset due to their stiffness, even when compared with lighter wheelsets. Is there any truth to this?

I know both are great wheelsets, but it seems like if you ask most people, they will say the DT Swiss is a superior wheelset. Crossmax SLs seem to get no love on this forum.

All of your thoughts regarding my brake upgrade issue are welcome.

Hawk

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
No expereince with DT swiss.

My front wheel is a Xmax SL, and it is a fast light tight wheel.
Rear is a Xmax XL, also great.

I changed the bearings at about 5500 km on the SL and 6500 on the XL, XL hub wore out at about 7500 km.

·
MTB'er
653 Posts
HBhawk said:
As a side note... anyone know how the weight of a complete Magura Marta SL brake (rotor, caliper, hose, brake lever, hardware) compares with a complete Avid BB mechanical disc brake (mine were bought in 2005 or 2006).
I don't know the exact numbers, but just to give you an idea: Avid BB7 front brake post-mount with caliper and rotor (no lever, no cable, no housing), weighs 318 grams (according to SRAM). Marta SL front brake IS including caliper, rotor, lever, cable, fluid... 324 grams (according to Magura).

·
Registered
235 Posts
DT CL to 6B mount

The DT Swiss CL to 6B mount will have zero play with normal disc rotors that are 1.8 - 2.0mm thick. This includes Hayes, Magura, and most Avid rotors. They do add 30 grams per wheel, but the 240S CL hubs are about 15 grams lighter each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.