Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
igoslo
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the swap done. Ditched the P2 in favor of a Vanilla 130 RLC shortened to 100mm. Just got the bike back this evening and I've only ridden it around the parking lot but so far I love it. The full shakedown will happen tomorrow right after work, I may even have to cut out a little early if you know what I mean.

Before:

After:

And this is what I did with the P2:

I know, I know, I stole the idea from some guy that wrote into Dirt Rag. I had to shim up the star nuts a little to make them tight in the legs, but the headset caps fit just right. It's going to be a Christmas gift for a friend of mine. Now I just hope he's not a lurker(I'm pretty sure he's not).

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Wow, hardcore on the rigid fork conversion.

When I pulled the 425mm axle to crown rigid off my steel Monocog and replaced it with a TALAS 90-130, it was quite a geometry change with a noticable rearward shift in balance. I like it much better now (handling, in addition to having a suspension fork) because I thought the original rigid fork was too short/head angle too steep, and now it feels much more like the handling of my other bikes with less than 70 degree head angles. I ride my fork dialed around 100mm, and after moving my seat a tad forward, I decided my stem length was still correct and I have better climbing bite and traction on the rear wheel where I was spinning more before with the shorter fork. So I'm saying it worked for me here, glad I did it, let us know what you think of your bike's handling too. Your fork looks very tall by comparison in the after pic. I kept my rigid fork intact in the garage though, but doubt I'd ever put it back on a Monocog. Was too short of a fork for that bike for my liking to begin with I determined, but it made a nice handling rigid commuter, so who knows, if I ever retire my steel Monocog from trail service, I may slap it back on there. I should just make a TP holder out of it for now though, because that's my favorite bike.

Hope you like riding your Unit a lot more too now.

Cheers,

Dave

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
You're gonna love the change in the headtube angle and rear-biased riding position. I did the same with my IF- same fork and travel. Been riding like that for a few years now and wouldn't change a thing.

I once tried going with 80mm adjustment on the fork and hated the steep angle. I like the front of my bike on the light side when popping over trail obstacles.

That before pic looks like it was taken from Los Robles Trail. Are you in SoCal?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm with you, I think a 100mm fork makes a much nicer head angle on the Unit. I am waiting for my 100mm corrected surly rigid to arrive from Mr. Brown, hopefully it's there when I get home. That slingshot is sweet, but I dunno if I'd sacrifice a nice fork like a P2 to make it! :(

·
igoslo
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upchuck said:
Yeah, I guess you're right. It does look a bit like the desert.
It is Phoenix.

Just got back from the first run. Other than little bit tougher climbing, the bike is all around better. Decents are so much better, mostly because of the fact that my tire stays in contact with the ground at speed allowing me the ability to stop. Oh boy, am I a happy camper now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.