Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just swapped my back pads with my front pads on my Hayes HFX-9's. There's about twice as much pad up front now and half as much in the back. The problem is, after the swap I lost nearly all of the brake lever movement for the front brakes.
Do I need to push the calipers all the way back and try again? Do I need to bleed the brakes? Crap! Please help!

·
Registered
734 Posts
It sounds like the self adjusters on the front brake are too tight. Did you push the pads all the way back in before swapping? If not, then that is your problem. Push the pads all the way back and then pump the lever a couple times to set the self adjusters to the new pads. You should be good to go.
If you did reset the self-adjusters (push the pads back) when you swapped pads, it sounds like too much fluid in the system (overfilled). Did you bleed the brakes recently? (with worn pads in them) If so you may have overfilled the system. If this is the case (recent bleed) then download the Hayes service guide and re-bleed, following procedure to a T.

Last thing, it is not really a good idea to rotate pads. The pads mate to the rotors during break-in and moving them will require re-bedding (break-in) Better to just replace worn pads as necessary (Moving them will actually shorten their life)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts