Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in at least test riding a Shift R5. Shoot, I'd settle for almost any Shift. I called around to every dealer within 100 miles of me. Nada. Any chance of a demo happening around me? I'm in NC....Jill? :mad:

·
Registered
190 Posts
go-pirates said:
I'm interested in at least test riding a Shift R5. Shoot, I'd settle for almost any Shift. I called around to every dealer within 100 miles of me. Nada. Any chance of a demo happening around me? I'm in NC....Jill? :mad:
My LBS in Cumberland Gap TN just rolled a shift out on to the floor yesterday. May be a little bit of a hike over the mountain but there is one here and I am sure they'll let you demo it and probably make you a pretty good deal on it too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You know, it would not be a bad idea to get the regional sales reps to schedule a day at their bike shops and bring a demo fleet around. Couple of sizes/models, etc. It could be a fun event that brings attention to the lbs and the brand if given the right amount of publicity. The only 29er in my area is the one I built. I just got lucky and it worked out for me because I never really got to try one out. Likewise with my Masi road bike. I had the lbs order one up for me, but my idea of fit (58 cm) was based largely on the similarities in geometry (ETT, etc) with my MTBs. I still had to tweak the fit it with a different stem and saddle to get it dialed in. I am thinking that the average consumer is not going to take the risk I did. I am looking at another bike in nearby Knoxville where my wife can actually ride it and check it out because I cannot afford to be wrong on a bike for her. I know my lbs says they cannot afford to keep inventory in models that don't move much beyond their idea of the local pricepoint (~$400) so they have a number of entry Flighlines, and crusier bikes, but not much beyond that. Certainly no Beasleys, Marys, etc.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
gap_rider said:
You know, it would not be a bad idea to get the regional sales reps to schedule a day at their bike shops and bring a demo fleet around. Couple of sizes/models, etc. It could be a fun event that brings attention to the lbs and the brand if given the right amount of publicity. The only 29er in my area is the one I built. I just got lucky and it worked out for me because I never really got to try one out. Likewise with my Masi road bike. I had the lbs order one up for me, but my idea of fit (58 cm) was based largely on the similarities in geometry (ETT, etc) with my MTBs. I still had to tweak the fit it with a different stem and saddle to get it dialed in. I am thinking that the average consumer is not going to take the risk I did. I am looking at another bike in nearby Knoxville where my wife can actually ride it and check it out because I cannot afford to be wrong on a bike for her. I know my lbs says they cannot afford to keep inventory in models that don't move much beyond their idea of the local pricepoint (~$400) so they have a number of entry Flighlines, and crusier bikes, but not much beyond that. Certainly no Beasleys, Marys, etc.
If we have the bike in our demo fleet, I can usually make arrangements to send it to the shop and/or the rep for a test ride. I don't have an R5 in the fleet, unfortunately.

We used to have a "demo in a box" program where we'd ship demo bikes to shops, but we had too many problems with people not packing the bikes back up correctly so the bikes just got beat to hell. We pulled the plug on the program because the bikes weren't being treated properly.

I'd love to see all of our reps carry samples and do just what you are talking about. Very few of our reps are using their samples as demos but that's something I'd like to see change in the future since I think it's a great selling tool.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Chumba has a interesting guess you can call demo program. They have their big race van that will go to races and offer test rides plus while on the road will arrange demo rides at local riding areas with an LBS. Still the price of maintenance is always brutal since it's always the stupid bikes fault. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pass right by Sun and Ski a few times a year to visit family, so I will stop in next time. It's just so frustrating. I mean all I want is a quick test ride to determine if I want to add the bike to my short-list of potential candidates. If I don't like it (unlikely), no big deal. As it is, it would be much easier for me to test ride a blinged out, boutique, wine and cheese build from a local shop, rather than test a Shift. That just doesn't seem right. I prefer beer and pretzels.....:D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Beer is a definite but I'll pass on the pretzels but cashews or pistachios are a plus. :thumbsup:

My personal opinion on a parking lot test ride versus a 1 year test ride is even, you'll never get a 1 year test ride and the parking lot will let you know if it can clear a parking curb. If you feel the design suites you the odds are its perfect, if the design does not suit you your miserable. :crazy:

I have ridden tires for 5+ months feeling they were the best then the world rotated and it all went away, back to what worked originally. Reading fantastic reviews of something then buying the product only to find it's great for 49 of 50 reviewers but not me.:)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
go-pirates said:
I pass right by Sun and Ski a few times a year to visit family, so I will stop in next time. It's just so frustrating. I mean all I want is a quick test ride to determine if I want to add the bike to my short-list of potential candidates. If I don't like it (unlikely), no big deal. As it is, it would be much easier for me to test ride a blinged out, boutique, wine and cheese build from a local shop, rather than test a Shift. That just doesn't seem right. I prefer beer and pretzels.....:D
Yes, it frustrates the hell out of us as well. Our MTB line is very sadly under-represented in almost every shop. Sun and Ski does a great job for us in that regard. It's just proven to be so hard to get flooring against some of the bigger brands like Trek and Specilaized since they pretty much dictate what each shop will floor as well as what brands their dealers can and can't carry.

What I can tell you about the Shift series is the suspension platform is pretty tried and true. It's one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, platforms on the market. Some people call it old school but it persists because it works pretty darn good. Many bike manufacturers use it for this reason. It's simple, easy to maintain, and a good all-around performer.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
When Honda got into DH MTB they had one thing in mind and that was to win. With all their research and funding they went with a SP frame design, hired Showa for suspension :thumbsup: researched/developed the ultimate shifting and won. :yesnod:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The SP design is what drew my interest to the Shift. I like it. I'm kicking myself for not buying a C-Dale Rush or Prophet when they were still plentiful. :madman:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
go-pirates said:
The SP design is what drew my interest to the Shift. I like it. I'm kicking myself for not buying a C-Dale Rush or Prophet when they were still plentiful. :madman:
Their are a few different pivot points on the SP, low, mid and high pivot. Shock has 2 options Top or Down Tube. Which is best depends on intended design and rider, while were at it lets throw in shock and setup. Almost forgot the linkage assisted SP. They all work for their intended use and they work great with less bearings and rockers. :thumbsup:

If you compare the Cdale to the Shift the Prophet would be the most similar on intended use.:cornut:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Rode my SP today on some DH trails with 5 other riders and it was great!!!! The bike is so playful on the trail hopping, hipping, pumping, flowing wow is the best description of the feeling. The SP has a way of making every ride a blast and when getting on the long legged bike your riding is soooo much more fluid. :rockon:

Oh ya the trail was slick muddy muck frigin awesome!!! :thumbsup:

dhJill you know about this stop???:cool:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific/outerbike-2010-announced/

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
downhilljill said:
Yes, it frustrates the hell out of us as well. Our MTB line is very sadly under-represented in almost every shop. Sun and Ski does a great job for us in that regard. It's just proven to be so hard to get flooring against some of the bigger brands like Trek and Specilaized since they pretty much dictate what each shop will floor as well as what brands their dealers can and can't carry.
That won't be a problem in my new shop since Haro's my #1 choice for a launch brand and that's specifically because of the mtb line (the fact I'm rockin a beasley and have custom built a Werks XCT and Werks DSRs for friends in the past was also a factor in the decision) and how well its suited to the type of trail riding we have around here. A Xeon is the most you need in the long travel department around here and 29ers and soon 650Bs (if I have anything to do about it) are very popular as cross country bikes (Hell one local store has their entire team riding Niners).

What I can tell you about the Shift series is the suspension platform is pretty tried and true. It's one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, platforms on the market. Some people call it old school but it persists because it works pretty darn good. Many bike manufacturers use it for this reason. It's simple, easy to maintain, and a good all-around performer.
To add to that, whenever someone goes "oh they're copying santa cruz" when referring to some other mid-pivot monoshock design I feel the need to correct them and say "Actually no, they're copying Haro... even Santa Cruz copied Haro. Everyone copies Haro. The sloping bent top-tube is the latest "me-too" design feature being copied from Haro, something they've done for 20 years many brands are only just discovering now.

Our own solution for a lack of a demo-fleet program will be to offer a couple Haro's as rental bikes, where we'll deduct the rental charge each time from the cost to buy the demo unit (another local shop does this with a Salsa Dos Niner currently). We haven't decided which models yet but likely an Mary/Ally to get people to try 29ers, and a Beasley to get them to try 650Bs. When you just have "free" demo bikes, they tend to get abused with no guarantee the customer will buy a bike, so charging $50 or so for say a 2-day rental period so they can get a couple rides in. On a bike that starts at say $1500, if five people rent it, and the fifth decides to then buy it, the price would be $1250. The rental charge also helps offset any maintenance labour needed to maintain the demo bikes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
DeeEight said:
Our own solution for a lack of a demo-fleet program will be to offer a couple Haro's as rental bikes,
My LBS has used that same approach also. The Mgr has also tried to get fthe owner on board with idea of riding the bikes they sell rather than going out and looking to upgrade his personal ride with a "Specialized" or other brand. Seems axiomatic to me. We are also trying to get a group ride going for all of the Masi riders as well. So we are doing our part to get the brand out there! I am hoping we can coordinate a demo day in Cumberalnd gap this spring/summer too. Not that I am going to get anything out of it, but I just want to see a lot of bikers in town having fun pedaling up and down the streets.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.