Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a little advice please. I have a SS with no EBB but I hear a creaking noise around the BB area when I pedal. What's strange to me is that when I stand to mash up a hill, it doesn't creak. But when I pedal on flat ground sitting on the seat, I can hear the creaking noise. I thought it might be my pedals, but I regreased them and I can still hear it. Any suggestions?
P.S.-- Bike has been ridden about a month now. Still pretty new ride. Creaking started a few days ago.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
krokus454 said:
when I stand to mash up a hill, it doesn't creak. But when I pedal on flat ground sitting on the seat, I can hear the creaking noise.
So it is your seat or seat post. Really.

My creaks have usually been cured by tightening all the bolts and screws I can find in the seat/post area.

Others have had to disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble things there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perttime said:
So it is your seat or seat post. Really.

My creaks have usually been cured by tightening all the bolts and screws I can find in the seat/post area.

Others have had to disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble things there.
Seat post is good & tight......The sound is definitely coming from the BB area

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Try twisting the seat with your hands. Any small screws holding the seat itself together?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perttime said:
Try twisting the seat with your hands. Any small screws holding the seat itself together?[/QUOTE

Yeah, there's a couple of small screws under the seat. I remember tightening them when I first got the bike but I haven't checked them since. I'll do that and report back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perttime said:
Try twisting the seat with your hands. Any small screws holding the seat itself together?
I checked the screws under the seat and looked at seatpost. Everything seems good and tight. Maybe it's time to go to the LBS and have the BB pulled and greased?

·
Registered
66 Posts
krokus454 said:
Maybe it's time to go to the LBS and have the BB pulled and greased?
Not sure how often you get the BB apart but it never hurts to take the cranks off, pull the BB and clean then re-grease - especially if you ride where it's really wet or really dusty/dry. Not to take away from your local shop, but with a couple of specialty tools, you can service your BB very easily - well worth the price of the tools to be able to service it yourself a few times a season. I often find the source of creaking is a BB in need of some TLC. Just a thought.

·
openwound
580 Posts
I'd also have to cast a vote for chainring bolts. If after pulling, lubing, and tensioning those, it's still loose, then it's pull, clean, grease the bb threads...since you're going to be pulling the cranks to monkey with the chainring bolts, why not just do the whole package at once.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Still wondering... if the creak stops when you get out of the saddle, how can it come from BB/cranks/chainring bolts?

When I have creak in the BB, it gets worse when I get out of the saddle to mash.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
voodoochild said:
...since you're going to be pulling the cranks to monkey with the chainring bolts, why not just do the whole package at once.
Who pulls cranks to tighten chainring bolts??? :confused:

perttime said:
Still wondering... if the creak stops when you get out of the saddle, how can it come from BB/cranks/chainring bolts?

When I have creak in the BB, it gets worse when I get out of the saddle to mash.
I concur. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it only occurs when seated, it is seatpost or saddle rails. Remove, clean and re-lube the seatpost. Same with saddle -- a little lube on the rails and the bolts that hold it. One of those is it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fatdave said:
If it only occurs when seated, it is seatpost or saddle rails. Remove, clean and re-lube the seatpost. Same with saddle -- a little lube on the rails and the bolts that hold it. One of those is it.
Would most people agree that a little coating of grease needs to be used on the seatpost? I've heard that somewhere before but I've never tried it.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
krokus454 said:
a little coating of grease needs to be used on the seatpost?
A little (very little) grease, or something, on the post is the usual thing, to prevent the post from sticking to the frame for ever.

(edit: this is for steel and aluminum parts. carbon fiber has different needs)

My seats have a lot of tiny screws holding them together. Sometimes the creak has come from them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.