Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the two pussies in their 20's who were on ebikes Saturday on Skyline Trail in Big Bear: Do you have trouble reading?? Every single trail sign up there says "No e-bikes, No pedal assist" You guys had to be at least half my age. Pedal your damn bikes up the hill!

·
Registered
618 Posts
We were riding Los Penasquitos/Del Mar Mesa area last week. We had gone down Shits and were headed up Cobbles. I am just grinding along on the climb when without any warning or words some guy on an e-bike tries to pass me on my left where there was not room to pass. I bobbled a little and had to struggle to get back out of the cobbles onto the line with traction. He said something like "sorry" but then went on by. Let it be known, if you are on an e-bike, going up a technical climb, don't try to pass the riders that are actually paying rent. What an ass.

·
No known cure
5,747 Posts
I once saw two kids on dirt bikes on Skyline. I didn't get a chance to educate them, but for what it's worth, they were rolling the trail

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really hope I don’t get chewed out for this however, what’s the big deal with people climbing on e-bikes? I had a few pass me by on technical climbs at my local trails and I wasn’t offended by it. Doesn’t bother me one bit, many can’t do the climbs because of health issues or some don’t want to be all gassed out once they reach the summit.

Either way, I don’t mind it one bit, but I guess haters gonna hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really hope I don't get chewed out for this however, what's the big deal with people climbing on e-bikes? I had a few pass me by on technical climbs at my local trails and I wasn't offended by it. Doesn't bother me one bit, many can't do the climbs because of health issues or some don't want to be all gassed out once they reach the summit.

Either way, I don't mind it one bit, but I guess haters gonna hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't totally mind it either, but I still can't help but silently scoff everytime I see one hahah. But I definitely know the irritation when you are going through a narrow or tech section and hear someone rip up behind on an ebike yelling "BEHIND!" Trying to get by.

·
GONE
27,022 Posts
E-bikers will be e-bikers and they have that right. Just stay off the trails that are clearly posted where they cannot be. That's what the OP is saying here.

BTW, I rode Skyline a few weeks ago and we saw an e-biker, too. He got lit up by my group, lol!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am not a hater,but as a human powered vehicle, I should not be asked to yield right of way on a technical climb. They can sit behind me until there is clear space to pass.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
A few weeks ago I had two ebike riders almost knock me off the trail( skyline) while I was riding uphill and them coming downhill. I chewed them out about not just because they didn't yield, but also because they were riding on a trail that is clearly marked "no ebikes"

I think some of the problem is that a lot of places rent ebiks in town and the shop is not telling them( although they are clearly marked) that they are prohibited on all trails in the Big Bear Valley.

The ebike issue is a touchy situation. I have a friend whom is a huge mtb'er, but after fracturing her femur several years ago has been unable to ride. She bought a ebike last year and has been riding. So I get that. But the people who ride a ebike because they are lazy or refuse to get fit, I do have a problem with. An ebike allows riders to possibly ride faster than their ability, which could lead to coming into corners to fast, or riding up on someone and having to brake and causing erosion.

·
GONE
27,022 Posts
A few weeks ago I had two ebike riders almost knock me off the trail( skyline) while I was riding uphill and them coming downhill. I chewed them out about not just because they didn't yield, but also because they were riding on a trail that is clearly marked "no ebikes"

I think some of the problem is that a lot of places rent ebiks in town and the shop is not telling them( although they are clearly marked) that they are prohibited on all trails in the Big Bear Valley.

The ebike issue is a touchy situation. I have a friend whom is a huge mtb'er, but after fracturing her femur several years ago has been unable to ride. She bought a ebike last year and has been riding. So I get that. But the people who ride a ebike because they are lazy or refuse to get fit, I do have a problem with. An ebike allows riders to possibly ride faster than their ability, which could lead to coming into corners to fast, or riding up on someone and having to brake and causing erosion.
Why would a business or businesses in the Valley rent bikes (e-bikes) that are illegal on Big Bear Valley trails? Seems like that business or businesses could get into trouble if an accident involving an e-bike they own (or supply) caused an accident with serious injuries or worse? I doubt that signing a waiver in this case would clear the business of legal obligation, unless the waiver clearly states that riding the rented e-bike is illegal to use on Big Bear Valley trails. This should be looked into with City officials otherwise the issue may only get worse.

Can they be legally ridden on the fire roads that surround the Valley?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There were ebikes for rent all over town in Big Bear. I was disappointed by that fact but then was really bugged when I saw these two clowns riding them where they are clearly banned. I'm sorry, but ebikes on trails are nothing more than a sign of an ever-growing fat lazy society. I see the value of them for actual transportation around town (in lieu of a car and NOT for alleged exercise), but on trails they are simply inexcusable. Get a damn motorbike and be done with it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why would a business or businesses in the Valley rent bikes (e-bikes) that are illegal on Big Bear Valley trails?
Because money. I was reading in the Norcal forum that shops will tell inquiring customers that e-bikes are legal on their local trails and will sell them one- despite it being Marin County where even a regular mt bikes is illegal on most trails.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Yes, they are legal on all paved and dirt roads that are legal for motor vehicle traffic. There are no single track trails that are legal, even the paved bike path is off limits to ebikes.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I didn't used to dislike eBikes. Problem is, I've run into too many jerks on eBikes. I do have a friend who rides one responsibly, but, he seems to be the exception.

I think the amount of signs that have been posted at Skypark to remind eBikers to stop riding like jerks tells you everything you need to know about the people riding them.

I do know of A guy in Big Bear who rents eBikes who is an old, out of shape guy, who goes out of his way to criticize non eBikes. He calls people who can't make a technical climb 'lazy' for getting off and pushing, while he can make it on his eBike. That was on a Facebook post where he was going on about Summit not allowing eBikes (which isn't their decision). I have seen him take KOM's from a Pro who lives up there (national level pro, not a 'local' pro) and brag about how much better he is. I'm sure he is telling his renters that they can ride wherever they want.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
It's pretty clear........

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/bicycling

Mountain biking is a growing sport in the mountains. Riding is permitted on designated routes, which include the forest road and trail network, except for the Pacific Crest Trail, short nature trails, and any trail leading to, or inside designated Wilderness areas.

Electric Bicycles:

Electric bicycles are growing in popularity and offer increased potential for quality recreation experiences, where determined appropriate, that connect people with enjoyment of their National Forests.

Electric bicylces are allowed on roads and trails open to all vehicles, 50 inch OHV and motorcycle only routes. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/ohv
Electric bicylces (including pedal assist) are not permitted on non-motorized trails.

·
No known cure
5,747 Posts
I didn't used to dislike eBikes. Problem is, I've run into too many jerks on eBikes. I do have a friend who rides one responsibly, but, he seems to be the exception.

I think the amount of signs that have been posted at Skypark to remind eBikers to stop riding like jerks tells you everything you need to know about the people riding them.

I do know of A guy in Big Bear who rents eBikes who is an old, out of shape guy, who goes out of his way to criticize non eBikes. He calls people who can't make a technical climb 'lazy' for getting off and pushing, while he can make it on his eBike. That was on a Facebook post where he was going on about Summit not allowing eBikes (which isn't their decision). I have seen him take KOM's from a Pro who lives up there (national level pro, not a 'local' pro) and brag about how much better he is. I'm sure he is telling his renters that they can ride wherever they want.
I know of that guy. He brags on a local FB page that he talks down to other riders who aren't on ebikes. I asked what trails he was riding and called him out on riding trails closed to ebikes. We had some words.

On this side of the mountain, a forest service team of two rangers patrol the service roads on KTMs looking for alcohol violations, pot grows and checking wood permits. It would be nice if they could check out 2N10, 3N14 ect for ebike violations and hand out some tickets.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Okay, Chad is amazingly fast, but I wouldn't consider him "national level"....yet, but he definitely has the potential.

As far as the bike shop owner who promotes ebikes on the trail, which shop?

1 - 20 of 264 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.