Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don’t have a dropper post and I do mostly single track with lots of frequent ups and downs. Does it make sense to set my saddle post lower than text-book fitment to help with my down-hill performance? I feel like I have to sit down the whole time with not much room to do anything else. On the other hand going uphill over difficult terrain is still my biggest challenge. Any suggestions?

I’m adding a dropper after this season BTW.

·
Cycologist
10,309 Posts
Yes, it is pretty standard to run a rigid post a bit lower than optimal climbing height to give yourself some room to move around, say 1/2" - 1". I did. But now I have droppers on all my bikes.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Yes, it is pretty standard to run a rigid post a bit lower than optimal climbing height to give yourself some room to move around, say 1/2" - 1".
Really? :eek:ut:

I would not be willing to make that compromise, but I guess it works alright for others.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
yeah, I always ran my seat post a little lower on the mtb vs the road bike, if that's the "textbook fitment" you're referring to, but you should still be able to get behind the seat regardless. If not, maybe you need to adjust your cockpit set up to get a little more maneuvering room... or get a dropper.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I run the same saddle height on all my bikes, mtb, road and gravel, even before I went to a dropper on my mtb. I now and always will run a dropper on any type of mtb, xc, trail, enduro, etc.
Using a dropper, I can run the optimum height for climbing, then have the ability to lower if needed.

·
No known cure
5,727 Posts
In the days before dropper posts, when racing super d where you're climbing and racing down the DH course against the clock, seat tube height was important. It needed to be high enough to climb and low enough to descend. You'll find the sweet spot.

On another note, I don't like a huge drop on a dropper post. I like to be able to still feel the saddle with the insides of my thighs for control on ledgy, punchy downhills.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,031 Posts
I’ve ran a dropper since 2008’. About a year ago it went bad and needs to be serviced. I’ve never sent it in for servicing. I threw my Thomson rigid post on. I set it at optimal climbing position and never looked back. I’ll eventually get the dropper serviced and put it back on but in the meantime I have to have that optimal climbing position. I can deal with the downhills good enough.

·
No known cure
5,727 Posts
I've ran a dropper since 2008'. About a year ago it went bad and needs to be serviced. I've never sent it in for servicing. I threw my Thomson rigid post on. I set it at optimal climbing position and never looked back. I'll eventually get the dropper serviced and put it back on but in the meantime I have to have that optimal climbing position. I can deal with the downhills good enough.
I've had one since then too. A Gravity Dropper I bought in town in Downiville after the race. The owner of the company was there selling them out of his truck for $200. I bought one, installed it, rode around and had him gut it and turn it from a 5" to a 3" drop. I still use it almost every day and it's been one of those install and forget components. Funny thing is the face where the cable enters and the rare earth magnet is located gets fuzzy with black sand and needs to be cleaned off from time to time.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I argue with people about this all the time. I think it has to do with my relatively short inseam (just a theory, no proof to back it up whatsoever) but a dropper is the least helpful "change" in bikes to me in a long time. I rarely use mine.

I will bump my saddle up a hair on fire road climbs or the rare paved road climb but when I am on a trail I tend to ride with it somewhat low no matter what I am doing. So when I descend I never feel like it's in the way.

A lot of people I ride with tell me I am impeding my power by riding with my saddle low but I don't find that to be true just based on my own experience.

IDK, if I took my dropper posts off my bikes I don't think I would miss them at all.

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
I also found ended up ditching my dropper(s) and going back to regular posts.

I tend to run my seat a bit lower than roadie height for trail riding; I'll move it up a notch if I'm going to be on pavement/dirt road/non-tech trails.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
I run the saddle on my mtb at least 1/2" lower than the saddle on my "road" bike. Now that I have been using a dropper for a few months, I might raise it up to full staff so I can use the efficiency of a full hieght saddle and drop when needed.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I'm a bit surprised, I didn't realize how common it is to run a saddle below the optimal setting. Goes to show, it really comes down to personal preference. I'm sure this will be past us soon enough since OP intends to run a dropper soon. From this thread I could almost be led to believe droppers are just another fad. Not that I believe that to be true though.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I argue with people about this all the time. I think it has to do with my relatively short inseam (just a theory, no proof to back it up whatsoever) but a dropper is the least helpful "change" in bikes to me in a long time. I rarely use mine.

I will bump my saddle up a hair on fire road climbs or the rare paved road climb but when I am on a trail I tend to ride with it somewhat low no matter what I am doing. So when I descend I never feel like it's in the way.

A lot of people I ride with tell me I am impeding my power by riding with my saddle low but I don't find that to be true just based on my own experience.

IDK, if I took my dropper posts off my bikes I don't think I would miss them at all.
I think you couldn't be more wrong and I think the dropper post is the greatest innovation in mountain bikes in the history of mountain bikes. I would pump my tires up to 40 psi and get rid of my suspension before I would give up my dropper post.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
The key with a fixed seat post is to run it as high as you can for optimal pedaling, but not impede you too much on the downs. For me that 1/4 to 1/2. One benefit if a dropper is you don't need to do that as much however even with a dropper you may want to run a tiny bit lower. If all your trails are up then down you probably don't, but if you do more rolling then it may still help to have it bit lower as it always takes time to raise and lower the seat. In that case you may just be faster with seat up all the time and need bit of space to move around.

What I can say is different seat heights will impact which muscle groups you use. Ideal position creates a balance between the front and back of legs so both are used similarly. Too low or high and you tend over work on muscle group.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,031 Posts
Here we go:

My opinion is the only feasibly one and it’s right, damn-it!

Welcome to the General Discussion forum. >insert headache here<

·
Cycologist
10,309 Posts
Really? :eek:ut:

I would not be willing to make that compromise, but I guess it works alright for others.
I'm a bit surprised, I didn't realize how common it is to run a saddle below the optimal setting. Goes to show, it really comes down to personal preference. I'm sure this will be past us soon enough since OP intends to run a dropper soon. From this thread I could almost be led to believe droppers are just another fad. Not that I believe that to be true though.
Yep, really! :)

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
I think you couldn't be more wrong and I think the dropper post is the greatest innovation in mountain bikes in the history of mountain bikes. I would pump my tires up to 40 psi and get rid of my suspension before I would give up my dropper post.
:) Try that out IRL and get back to us.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.