Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just decided I want to put disc brakes on my crappy Giant Rincon. I had never noticed before, but today I saw that it does not have brake mounts in the rear. I find this strange since the Yukon (the bike on top of mine), which has the same frame does have. Is there some kind of adapter to mount discs? Also, the hubs are not disc compatible and ive heard that a wheel rebuild is not cheap. I think that my idea of better brakes has gone to hell. If only I had bought at least the Yukon (which has both disc compatible hubs and where to put the rear one). Dang I wish someone had been there to help me when I bought my bike, and I wish I had the money to buy a better bike :mad: .

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
There is a solution

But it's going to be expensive. There is a bracket that can be mounted to the frame so that you can install a disc brake on the rear wheel. (not sure what it's called, but I've seen pics posted in this forum) In addition to this bracket, both the front and rear wheels will need to be replaced with a disc compatible wheelset. Yes, you could re-lace the current rims with disc hubs, but the cost would probably be more than buying an inexpensive set of disc compatible wheels.

A less expensive alternative would be to just run a disc up front and keep the rim brakes in the rear. In that most of your braking power comes from the front brake, I would recommend this option. Now you're only out the cost of the front wheel and a disc brake for the front.

Bob

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Call_me_Clyde said:
Yes, you could re-lace the current rims with disc hubs, but the cost would probably be more than buying an inexpensive set of disc compatible wheels.

A less expensive alternative would be to just run a disc up front and keep the rim brakes in the rear. In that most of your braking power comes from the front brake, I would recommend this option. Now you're only out the cost of the front wheel and a disc brake for the front.

Bob
Which inexpensive wheels could you recomend for all around riding? Probably I would only change the front one.

Thanks

EDIT: I just phoned my LBS a while ago to ask how much thay charged for a wheel rebuild. To the first shop guy I asked "How much do you charge for building a wheel with a new hub?" and he told me "40 pesos (about 3.5 bucks)". I hung up and I thought that the guy must have been confused or something, so I called another store. I asked "How much do you charge for changing a hub on a wheel?" and the guy answered " we are not doing that right now but we charge 60 pesos (5.5 bucks)". This got me very confused. Am I missing something? Are the shop guys missing something?

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to phone them later and if the cost to rebuild the wheel is reasonable (they may have misunderstood me) I may change the front hub. What decent hub for all around riding can you reccomend me for about 40 or so bucks?
Thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Shimano XT

545cu4ch said:
Im going to phone them later and if the cost to rebuild the wheel is reasonable (they may have misunderstood me) I may change the front hub. What decent hub for all around riding can you reccomend me for about 40 or so bucks?
Thanks
The XT should be suffice. Just make sure you get one with the 6 bolt ISO disc mount as compared to the Shimano Center lock disc mount.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Carbon Fiber

dogonfr said:
I think I have seen one before that was not like the brake therapy set up but made of carbonfiber, no metal. I have seen the brake therapy setup with a carbon bar and metal hardware but that is not what I am talking about.
Did specialized use to put something on there FSR frames before the I.S. mounts were welded on the rear triangle.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Well.... on www.nashbar.com you can pick up a set of Ditch Witch rims laced to Deore hubs... disc wheelset.

Sun SingleTrack/Shimano Deore M525 Disc Wheelset here

EDIT: Ok, I guess they are Sun Single Tracks. Same thing I think... they changed it. It used to say Ditch Witch. Not bad for a $120 wheelset.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Your best choice considering the Mexican Market is you to put a disc on the front and a vee on the rear.

A new disc wheelset from scratch will set you back at least 1000 pesos (around 95 bucks) and it won't be close to the options suggested before.

Bringing in a wheelset from the US can get nasty. With wheels, unless you're looking at very high end wheels, it's better to keep it domestic.

The Therapy adapter is cool... but I doubt it's worth the hassle. Start looking at those Java and Alubike frames. Those are cheap and decent quality (not at the level of your Giant, though)... best thing is you'll be able to run discs.

WARNING.... the rest of this post is SPAM.

A friend of mine is letting go a GT Agressor, full Deore, Zoke EXR fork and full discs for a very nice price. PM if interested. Is not a bargain, but much better price than market.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
545cu4ch said:
Thanks
Transvision Bike (and I think some others) have the Deore for a little less than 300 pesos (around 28 bucks). Call Abel also at Soho bikes, he might have something. He had some WTB wheels (OEM stuff he removed from a Raleight) for something like 1,300 pesos (120 bucks). I think he has the Avid BB5 at something around 800 or less pesos.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
I'm doing the same for the same bike. Got the adapter in e-bay for $56 shipped, same as the brake therapy design. Apart from the wheelset, you'll have to change shifters, as this bike (04at least) come's with brake/shifter combo.

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
No rear disc tabs

A2Z make an adaptor that's available on Ebay a lot or do a Google search for A2Z components. Runs around $40 retail but can be found for less. Need flat aluminum rear drop outs but I used it for a Litespeed Obed and works fine. Removal and install of rear wheel is a little more trouble.

That said 80% of brake power comes from the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts